GUI Touch-Screen interface

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
Im not sure the questions I should be asking but I want to create an iphone type application that can be controlled by a touch screen.

This GUI will be used to control a hand grapper that moves in X,Y,Z coordinates in increments of 1mm.

Can anyone suggest how I can make this happen?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
do it in stages, first control it from buttons tied to microcontroller inputs.

when this is working satisfactory, then explore how to communicate with cicrocontroller using some other device such as iphone.

once this works, use GUI to read and write from microcontroller.
you can use read access to display status such as position, speed etc.
you can use write access to send control signals.
they can be mapped and used instead of local buttons (or along with them).

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
So can an iphone be used as a touch screen controller connected through a microcontroller? Can you tell me what I would need i.e software for the application and cable/or wireless connection to and from the MC?

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
So can an iphone be used as a touch screen controller connected through a microcontroller? Can you tell me what I would need i.e software for the application and cable/or wireless connection to and from the MC?
The phone could be connected as a USB device to the microcontroller (serving as a USB host) using an appropriate chip. Then you'd need to write software for your iPhone that can interact via the USB port with a connected host. It's not a turnkey solution, but when is it with this stuff?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
this is your project and doing research is part of it.

how do you plan to use the iphone and what is already integrated in it?
do you want to use it as wired or wireless remote?

if wired, what options are there? usb?

if wireless, what options are there? using it as a phone would require microcontroller to have access to phone line as well. if there is any other port such as Bluetooth or infrared or whatever, your microcontroller will again need the same thing.

once you have chosen avenue, you need to walk it. get resources like documentation, sdk etc and do it one little step at a time. plan before you execute.

if there are mems like gyro, accelerometer etc, this can open new possibilities in terms of control inputs, it does not need to be just touch.