Grounding question

bob800

Joined Dec 10, 2011
Hello,

I'm in the process of assembling a fluorescent light fixture (no instructions provided), but I've come across a possible problem:

On no part of the fixture is there any written indication about where a ground wire should be attached (if it's even intended to be grounded). However, I've located a green screw which seems unfit for anything except grounding (see attached image for more detail), so I fastened the wire at that spot. I tested the conductivity to the outer shell with a multimeter and found that the connection was indeed good. But I also found that the ground screw was electrically connected to the body of the ballast transformer... Here's where my lack of knowledge comes into play: Is it safe to ground the body of a transformer without any instruction to do so? It seems safe to me, but I just wanted to get a more educated opinion before I start something on fire...:D

Attachments

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
The whole point of grounding in this fashion is to blow a fuse / breaker if any of the components develop a leak or other defect. It ain't perfect, but it's a lot better than a short circuit through a human body part.