ground(earth)

chaithanyatkm

Joined Aug 26, 2011
i saw 3 different notations for representing ground(common potential node). i don't know the what is the difference b/w those 3 notations. i can't upload the pictures now. hope you all know the 3 different notations..one symbol looks same as the notation we used to represent mirrors in physics textbooks. the other one looks like a broad arrow pointing downward. And the other notation consists of parallel lines of decreasing length

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
http://www.rapidtables.com/electric/electrical_symbols.htm

They are calling the one with decreasing length parallel lines 'earth' and the one with 3 slanted lines 'chassis'. I would suggest that the chassis symbol is more likely to be an earth type ground and the parallel line symbol more likely to be used with power supply grounds. The triangle form is common for both types depending on the person using it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The triangle is most often used in electronics schematics and represents "common" - not necessarily a chasis ground or an earth ground, just a common reference within the circuit.

EDIT: actually, the triangle is referenced on the wiki page. they are calling it "signal ground" and this is what they have to say about it:
Signal grounds serve as return paths for signals and power (at extra low voltages, i.e., less than about 50 V) within equipment, and on the signal interconnections between equipment. Many electronic designs feature a single return that acts as a reference for all signals. Power and signal grounds often get connected together, usually through the metal case of the equipment.