Greetings ALL, in need of some help with an upcomming project

newlitemotorist

Joined Dec 23, 2006
First off I need to introduce myself......I am completely new to the circutry world but have found my way in by way of my fastination with automobiles. As most of you know, I need to do much reading and homework but my efforts have been somewhat non-effective. Hence the reason I am calling on you guys.

My project:
I am working on a homemade paddleshifting devise for my car and I have only gotten so far. I have the circutry diagram form my trannsmission and have concluded that there is two routes I could take to accomplish my goals. One way is to bypass the shifter itself, tie into the signal wires going to the tcu from the shifter wich tells the tcu the location of the shifter..ie..Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, 2nd, and 1st. I would need to figure out a way to set up a sequential switch that will trigger each gear selection in nearly the same exact secuence as with the shifter knob itself only going from lowest to high gear starting from N. My particular tranny has a switchable overdrive so my actual shifting sequence would be P-R-N-1-2-3-4. The only problem here is that if I simply tie into the shifter then I would not have full controll over the tranny because when you slow down the tranny would automatically down shift. The other method, which I am still alittle baffled about would be to tie into the two pulse generators that control the shift solinoids themselves which would bypass the whole electomatic control system and give me full control. Either way, I need to figure out a switch that has two part, one for upshifting and one for down shifting. I was looking at my digital camera the other day and noticed that when viewing the photo's you have taken, one selection button takes you through the photo's in the order you took them and the other selection button takes you back in the reverse patturn. Something like this would work only I wuld need to break the tie between the two switches so they dont start the sequence over after the final position has been reached.....this would be bad bad bad for a tranny. I could provide the circut layout if anyone knows anything about automatic trannies....maybe you could set me on the right or most simplistic path.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for looking

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Where I would start...

Use a 4510 binary up/down counter. Feed output of same to demultiplexer for actuating the shift solenoids. Also feed output to comparators (a pair of 4585s) to detect minimum and maximum allowed values.

Input to 4510 would come from de-bounced switches gated by o/p of comparators.

newlitemotorist

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Where I would start...

Use a 4510 binary up/down counter. Feed output of same to demultiplexer for actuating the shift solenoids. Also feed output to comparators (a pair of 4585s) to detect minimum and maximum allowed values.

Input to 4510 would come from de-bounced switches gated by o/p of comparators.

Ohhh man, those are some completely new terms to my vocabulary!!! I need to do some research now to find out what those things are and where I can get them.

You think youc ould maybe use some laymens terms to help me figure this one out...once i can see the picture I will take hold. Also, do I hook the demultiplexr directly to the solinoids or is there another path??? Thank you so much for your response.

newlitemotorist

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Ok, now that I have looked into things a little I realzie that my question has no relevance. Anymore help would be great....should I post a link to the circut diagram for what I am dealing with??? Thanks again

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The solenoids will likely require more curent than is produced by the demultiplexor. You'll need what is known as a "driver." One for each solenoid. Its just a transistor and associated components. Which transistor will depend on what voltage and current your solenoids require.

Note well: I know almost nothing about automotive transmissions.

newlitemotorist

Joined Dec 23, 2006
It seems that even if you dont know too much about them......if you know about electronics....you can probably figure it out pretty easily. Do you have any idea where I would be able to buy this stuff???

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I get mine from a local surplus electronics dealer, or from eBay, or from any of several online surplus dealers. When I'm in a super-pinch and have to buy full-price stuff, I go to Norvac (they have a dealer in my area).