Great evolution of computer games

methusela123

Joined Jul 22, 2011
How was it if until now computer game is only Tetris? Have you ever wondered if games are still Mario and Galaxia until today? You would really say it as a very boring game. The fast evolution of computers makes games more ferocious and inquisitive and more revealing. Just like Ragnarok But not all of them bare this kind of character. Like for instance the the Angry Birds, it sound and look so fun, its composition is like of that a cartoon movie of tom and Jerry but still there are many gamers who love to play with it.Truly online games now are fast evolving into a virtual game.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Yes, it is evolving, but you could only say, it's more fun now because you can compare. When I was kid, I didn't mind playing horrible graphics games on Atari XL computers. This whole thing is great for the true gamers, for everyone else it doesn't make a big difference.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The history of computer games goes much further back than you can imagine. You may think of "Pacman", "Donkey Kong" or even "Pong". But there were text oriented games long before the CRT video became popular, primarily with the advent of time-shared systems running on DEC machines. There was "Dungeons and Dragons", "Genie", "Lunar Lander", "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and so many more. Many of these games were played on a Teletype machine cranking out answers at 10 chars per second.

In 1973, for my digital systems term project, I wrote a program in assembler to play chess running on a DEC PDP-8/S and a Teletype machine. The memory space on the PDP-8/S was 4K.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I remember playing lunar lander on a PDP-8/e using an ASR-33 teletype, I almost said TTY, but I decided to state the whole name. That PDP-8/e had a whopping 16k of iron core memory.

A friend of mine squeezed a chess game into a 4k Tandy computer. Of course when he upgraded to a 64k machine, he rewrote the game and used up almost all 64k.

Before that, lunar lander was played on programmable calculators.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009

I still have my copy of "What do you do after you hit return" - P.C.C.'s First Book of Computer Games, published 1975 by People's Computer Company. Brings back fond memories.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Zork was written for main frames and adapted for PCs. A lot of the adventure games by Scott Adams were.

Pong wasn't really a computer game, it was made with discrete logic chips, then adapted once programmable devices became more common.

When the arcade computer games were new they were forbidden export because the chips were considered too advanced to let the cold war adversaries have them.

The US Army bought all the Battle Zone games it could get its hands on, removed the coin slot, and let the tank drivers in the barracks play to their hearts content. Don't know if this is a myth or not, but I suspect it was for real.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
After 14 years of continuous gaming I have this to say:

It doesn't matter if the game is old or new, low budget or high budget. It's the innovation and the gameplay that counts the most.
I have played games on MAME simulator for hours after hours, repeating the same exact actions because they were only too fun to stop. On the contrary, I have dropped modern games with stunning graphics in the middle because they had nothing new to offer and didn't hold me with either their story or gameplay.

Making a computer game is much like writing a song. You might make one about the most trivial matter, based on the most usual song type, but if you hit the right tune and write catchy lyrics, it 'll go to the top like a rocket.

Tell me who wouldn't play tetris now in their summer vacation if they had a portable platform with them. And then consider if you would play Transformers War for Cybertron the computer game.