gravity vs temp: of furnace oil

Ahsanullah

Joined Aug 27, 2010
I am working in high sulfur furnace oil handling department of thermal power house.We normally use hydro meter to measure the gravity of furnace oil.For example at 40 degree temp:, the gravity is about 0.960.There is certainly a formula/chart to measure the gravity at different temperatures.If any one has knowledge about that formula,please share with me.
THANKS

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I am working in high sulfur furnace oil handling department of thermal power house.We normally use hydro meter to measure the gravity of furnace oil.For example at 40 degree temp:, the gravity is about 0.960.There is certainly a formula/chart to measure the gravity at different temperatures.If any one has knowledge about that formula,please share with me.
THANKS
You might contact the manufacturer and/or supplier of the oil. they should have this data. it will probably different for different brands/types.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I assume you mean you're measuring the specific gravity, which is the ratio of the mass of the volume of fluid to the same volume of water. The density of a fluid changes with temperature. Is this what you're asking about?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Since your hydrometer is sensitive to temperature as well, it's much better to develop a test at a nearly consistent temperature, and then apply small corrections for any deviation for that. You might want to look here.

Any reason this is posted to a circuits forum?

Last edited:

Ahsanullah

Joined Aug 27, 2010
I assume you mean you're measuring the specific gravity, which is the ratio of the mass of the volume of fluid to the same volume of water. The density of a fluid changes with temperature. Is this what you're asking about?
Certainly you are right.I want a comprehensive formula or chart by which we can easily find the specific gravity with respect to temp of furnace oil.