Gravitricity

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Could a cutting-edge technology that harnesses one of the universe's fundamental forces help solve our energy storage challenge?
Possibly, but we have been waiting for commercial fusion power generation for seven decades. The first tokamak was demonstrated in 1958, but that work was preceded by the 1950 letter from Lavrentiev. I'll remain skeptical for the time being.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Could a cutting-edge technology that harnesses one of the universe's fundamental forces help solve our energy storage challenge?
Cutting edge? From 1968? The Ludington Pumped Storage Power Plant was a load-leveling energy storage system for several nuclear power plants to lift water onto the cliff next to Lake Michigan overnight and fall back through the turbines during the day to supplement supply.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludington_Pumped_Storage_Power_Plant

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I don’t see anything difficult about moving weights up and letting them drop to get back the energy. In fact, I just lifted the weights in my 100 year old grandfather clock and it will run for a week now.

Bob

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I don’t see anything difficult about moving weights up and letting them drop to get back the energy. In fact, I just lifted the weights in my 100 year old grandfather clock and it will run for a week now.

Bob
It's not the difficulty, it's the practicality. The cost compared to the very widely used pumped storage is very high and the amount of energy you can get from something you could manage to build (and maintain) is too low.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
But where do you pump if if you have flat land?
Is that your opinion or do you have facts for that statement?
In the video I linked above he lays out the facts and math. It is about a different company, the one that proposed the building you see illustrating the article (which is just a rendering). The economics just doesn't add up.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
In the video I linked above he lays out the facts and math. It is about a different company, the one that proposed the building you see illustrating the article (which is just a rendering). The economics just doesn't add up.
So the companies proposing this scheme, didn't do any of those calculations?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Example using a non-fluid system
Load leveling a solar farm capable of producing 24MWh per day and you want to store just 6MW-hours of that energy for overnight use.

That is 6MWh * 3600 = 21.6 GJoules.
The potential energy would be equal to raising about 1200 fully loaded 18-wheelers (40-tons gross weight) to 50 meters.

I'm sure they do. They just hope investors don't do the calculations.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
They appear to be funding scams. There are unfortunately too many examples of this. A company proposes something high tech, green, or some other trendy thing and they either get venture capital or use Kickstarter or similar sites to collect a bunch of money based on some CGI and vague technical blarf.

see: Solar Roadways, a few space proposals (hotels in space, etc.), and various "water from the air" schemes.

Also, Elon Musk concerning everything but SpaceX and the currently working Tesla cars.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Why not spin the mass instead of lifting it? It should be easier to to deal with rotation than linear vertical motion.

Bob
Flywheel-based UPSs exist and seem to work well. The general problem with all of these things, though, comes down to energy per dollar. If you need something for a local, special application that's one thing but for commodity power on the grid is has to be cheap or it is more costly than simply dumping excess capacity.

[EDIT: typo repair]

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Flywheel-based UPSs exist and seem to work well. The general problem with all of these things, though, comes down to energy per dollar. If you need something for a local, special application that's one this but for commodity power on the grid is has to be cheap or it is more costly than simply dumping excess capacity.
Energy per dollar will become less and less a factor when we realize that sustainable (wind, solar, tidal) energy are the best solutions and storing that energy is critical to the health of the planet - then everyone will be ok with spending more per stored kWh than spending to generate a kWh.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Energy per dollar will become less and less a factor when we realize that sustainable (wind, solar, tidal) energy are the best solutions and storing that energy is critical to the health of the planet - then everyone will be ok with spending more per stored kWh than spending to generate a kWh.
We don't have infinite resources to maintain the health of the planet so cost will always be a critical factor. Pie in the sky storage ideas are not going to help. Base fission nuclear, cleaner utilization of existing fossil fuels, sustainable energy sources with practical energy storage will all be part of the mix.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://cleantechnica.com/2024/01/1...ro-is-the-only-remotely-real-gravity-storage/
This triggered all of the people who think Energy Vault has a remotely sensible technology and the tiniest chance of delivering anything of value, the people who like the ARES rail-based gravity storage nonsense and probably the ones who think unused office elevators, water towers, and mines and big piles of sand are a massive source of untapped storage as well.

So it’s time, once again, for the basics and a bunch of examples so that people can stop fantasizing about elevators, cranes or trains and focus on water and existing hills instead.