Got my old transistors

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well I was finally able to lay my hands on a couple of 2n410 transistors to get the radio I built, WAY back in high school, up and running again.

The problem is these don't look like the originals. The originals are short and fat compared to the replacements which are taller and slimmer. I assume this is nothing but the choice of packaging by the manufacturer?

I confirmed that they have 2n410 printed on them.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
All that matters is if they have the "2N410" on them. Transistors can in a wide variety of packages; some based on thermal considerations and others for size constraints.

Austin

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
uhhh, NO. I've seen many cases where people made this assumption, it was not valid. When I worked in CRG (Customer Returned Goods) at Collins Radio some buyer made the same assumption, and there was no arguing with management that they weren't the same parts, but these so called RF transistors couldn't even handle 1 Mhz well (the use was 70Mhz).

The manufacturer counts.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
uhhh, NO. I've seen many cases where people made this assumption, it was not valid. When I worked in CRG (Customer Returned Goods) at Collins Radio some buyer made the same assumption, and there was no arguing with management that they weren't the same parts, but these so called RF transistors couldn't even handle 1 Mhz well (the use was 70Mhz).

The manufacturer counts.
I would say for the OP's purposes the transistors would be just fine. Actually the taller thinner cans were usually the OLDER ones. If you look at transistor radios from the era, they were usually built with all the components "standing up" on the PCB. :)

Eric the Old

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I could not find a datasheet for an old 2N410 transistor. Maybe they were made before people could read and write? Germanium? Spec's drifting all over the place? Distorted? Poor bandwidth? Noisy? Guitar circuit?

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009

The manufacturer counts.
So the person your referring to had transistors that had the same numbering on them but they were actually different? That's awfully wierd, if they're different then they shouldn't have the same part number! :confused:

Austin

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We are talking real world here. This world is full of things made by man that don't make sense. Or to quote Mark Twain, "It ain't what folks know that get them into trouble, it's what they know that ain't so."

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I've got some old "Top Hat's" from some early 60's and 70's digital data circuits.
Is that what you might be looking for?
Yes the "top hat" type. I got it working from what I have but it would be nice to have the original type.

I would need a 2n410. Would you have one?