Goodman heat pump

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tracecom, Jun 18, 2014.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I have a small vacation house with a Goodman brand heat pump (no natural gas available.) My sister, who was a planner for an aluminum rolling mill, told me that Goodman was considered in the industry as a second (or maybe third) tier manufacturer.

The unit does make a lot of noise (a buzzing sound associated with the AC and a whooshing sound associated with the heat), but so far has not broken down. What should I expect?

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I'd search around on your particular model number to see if there are many reports from other owners out there. If you have any doubts about its performance, have the coolant checked. And a routine maintenance/cleaning visit might buy some peace of mind as well.

In my experience, even lower tier appliances can last well past 20 years. As with hand tools, it's something to consider when buying a cheap appliance - "Do I want to go through my life owning a cheap appliance, or a nice one?"

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Goodman went through some growing pains, but they have improved. After all, strantor set up their latest assembly factory. What more could you ask? :D

Seriously...Goodman is as good as any other, "generic" air conditioner now.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Its no Trane.. ;)

I hate to even say anything as I feel like tomorrow my unit is going to die just because I've said this..
    But I've got 2 Goodman units on my house running just fine since 2003..
    Only had to replace the capacitors once on each unit (1 last year and 1 the year before that)..

Then just last night I had to go up into the attic to grab our suitcases (2 week Florida vacation.. oh yeah) and noticed it wasn't insanely "hot" up there like it normally is.. Then noticed that one of the flexible ducts was 100% disconnected from the plenum and it was just blowing cold air right into the attic space.. No idea how long its been like that.. The "zip" tie they used to attach the flexible ducting was just loose and it just fell right off.
    Luckily I had a new gigantic zip tie and added some "flex fix" tape and all was good again.

tracecom likes this.
  5. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    tracecom likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Mcgyvr...there is stuff called, "mastic" that comes in buckets, from 20 pounds, up. The, "right" way to do it is to put mastic on the sheet metal adapter (starter collar), pull the inner plastic liner on to the adapter and zip tie that, then paint it with mastic again. Then fold the outer plastic layer over the insulation to keep atmospheric water from getting into the insulation, pull that over the starter collar, and zip tie that. Then coat it all with another layer of mastic. We can get leakage rates down to 1% with this method and it's nearly impossible to take it apart, even if you're trying.

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yeah.. I know... I'm mcgyvr biatch!!! :p
    That was just my quick fix for now till I get back from vacation.. A few of the joints on the plenum were leaking too through the existing sealant/mastic so I'll patch it all at the same time..
    The wife already put it on my "to do list" on the fridge because I mentioned I need to check the other unit in the crawlspace too when we get back..
    Also noticed the attic fan wasn't working anymore either while I was up there.. man.. I got too much crap to do :cool:

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Me too. A/C on my truck just sprung a leak.:mad:
    My nephew is out of the country so I get his wife's honey-do list.
    It's air conditioning season in Florida.
    The back yard is up to my ankles in rain water right now.
    If I open the door to the shed before the rain soaks into the ground, I'll have to mop.

You get the picture.
    I'm just glad humans sleep at night so I can at least get one break a day.

9. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks for all the input.

Ironically, my wife called me to the basement yesterday to see water in the floor. I am guessing the condenser drain is stopped up, but the plastic piping is all glued together around the trap, so I guess I'll call the HVAC service company today.

That is unless #12 wants to come to Tennessee. :D

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Get out your wet&dry vac and suck on the end of the drain pipe.
    If you're really dedicated, you will buy some drain pills and put them in the condensate pan.

Research: Let the drain pipe clog up as often as it likes and just suck the snot out of it with a wet&dry vac. Eventually it gets to plugging up as often as every 50 days.

Experiment: Throw some drain pills a in the condensate pan and wait. Result: 21 months until the next time it plugged up.

tracecom likes this.
  11. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    Here's the rest of the story.

When I got back to the house, I found that there was no way to suction from the drain end because the AC drain went straight into the main line from the basement to the septic tank. So, I tried to somehow get at the AC end of the drain line to either blow it out or swab it out. No joy! All the PVC fittings were glued, and the geometry was such that I couldn't get at the drain opening in the pan.

I concluded that the only way it could be cleaned out would be to cut the PVC, clean out the P trap, and then glue it back together. I didn't have the tools, nor the fittings, nor the glue, nor the gumption to tackle it, so I called the repairman. The one I wanted was in Tampa and wouldn't come, so I contacted a local guy.

When he came, he did exactly what I thought he would do. Cut the line, blew his breath through the P trap, and glued it back together. Presto! $67 later, it's all fixed. I did have him put in a cleanout plug, so I won't have to call him again for this problem.

12. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    That's encouraging! If I have as good service as you, I'll be happy.