good at math? don't have a job?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Who needs to be good at math these days when everyone carries a 'phone with >1GHz math processor inbuilt? Or a laptop/PC with even faster math capabilities? Math is a menial task for the machine to handle.

You don't need to be "good at running" these days either, to get from town to town quickly! We have cars and motorcycles now.
:)

Who needs to be good at math these days when everyone carries a 'phone with >1GHz math processor inbuilt? Or a laptop/PC with even faster math capabilities? Math is a menial task for the machine to handle.

You don't need to be "good at running" these days either, to get from town to town quickly! We have cars and motorcycles now.
:)
Who needs food these days, just get yourself a bag of vitamin/mineral mixture with some added sugars and proteins and connect it with a tube to your bloodstream! (I should actually patent this before Google X lab goes on with it)

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the "good at math" in the artical probably dosnt mean use of a calculator, it means actually understanding math. anyone can use a formula thats already been done, even with a pencil and paper is necessary, but these days there isnt anybody like Maxwell or Steinmetz, who actually understood math and physics. by the way, if you want to google someone interesting, check out Charles Proteus Steinmetz, he is the guy that worked out the math behind pulses generated by spark transmitters and lots of other stuff.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
yes, realy. when you think of the background of math, the first ones actually had it the hardest, nobody to teach them, had to do it themselvs. Marconi may have "discovered" radio, but he and Tesla were pretty much in the dark about how a spark acutally generated rf. and James C. Maxwell, how could he have worked out all about electromagnetism, even the impedance of free space, before any one even generated rf?

Sometimes its just better to figure things out yourself, rather then it being taught to you. These days you mostly learn how to apply stuff, but you don't actually learn how things work.

If you want to have another Tesla, we should probably let the most brilliant children figure out more on their own. Let them philosophate on stuff thats already been figured out rather then giving the answer directly.

If Tesla was born in this world today, he would probably be serving me my coffee

That sounds disgusting. Let them philosophate on your stuff first.
Yeah philosophate, its a German word. It means they should write down their problem, take a crap on the paper, spread it out with their fingers and see if they can find the answer to the problem looking and smelling at the faeces.

Just give me a break, English isn't my main language you know.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Just give me a break, English isn't my main language you know.
I wasn't being critical. I thought it was funny. Should've used a smiley.

Also, I just looked up the word (also should've done that first), and it is a synonym for philosophize. That makes your English better than mine. And I'm a native...

I wasn't being critical. I thought it was funny. Should've used a smiley.

Also, I just looked up the word (also should've done that first), and it is a synonym for philosophize. That makes your English better than mine. And I'm a native...
Haha its ok, its not like I was angry or something.