Good 1A 9V to 10V dc/dc converter anyone?

moorea21

Joined Sep 5, 2010
Hi,

I need a stable approx. 10V supply from a small 9V battery, but I'm swamped with possibilities. Some kind of kit or pre-made unit would be best, but an LTspice circuit with suitable component values and only using through hole mounted components would be just as welcome; I'm happy to build if I have to, although the design process isn't something I feel confident about at the moment.

The output current shouldn't exceed 1A, although some margin of error might be wise, so maybe 1.5A max current. It doesn't have to be particularly elegant or efficient, or even all that small, although it's for a pocket sized portable analogue device.

I have some 33063 AP IC's here, but I'm not set on using them necessarily.
Any ideas for a good solution?

Thanks,

Rich B

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
1 ampere from a 9 volt battery. To optimistic if we are talking about this type of battery

This type of battery is not designed for such currents. You may be able to draw that amount of current from 9 volt battery only for a very short period of time.

moorea21

Joined Sep 5, 2010
Okay, thanks. That is the kind of battery. I must have miscalculated, unfortunately I can't test as the circuit is only half built; some bits are still in the post. Maybe I should build and test without regulation, just to be sure what current is actually drawn...

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
See if you can find industrial 9v batteries locally. They're different internally than standard 9v batteries; they have 7 cells vs 6 for the standard ones.

Alkaline 9v cells are generally rated for around 500mAh, which means that they can output 25mA for 20 hours before their voltage gets down to a ~7v threshold. 500mAh/20 hours = 25mA.

The more current you try to draw from a battery, the more voltage will be dropped across the battery internal resistance. As the battery becomes consumed, its' internal resistance increases until ALL of the voltage is dropped across the internal resistance instead of the load. 9v batteries are compact, but they're one of the most expensive ways to get power. Seven AA batteries will last far longer.

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Why does it need to be regulated: Best to use seven AA cell NI-MH which you can get rated at about 2500 mA-hr. Give you a lttle over an hour of run time at 1.5A.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
We often find that the device that needs power can run just fine on 9 volts when the label says, "10 volts". Is this job really necessary?

(I rarely question the intent of the original poster but this one seems like it needs to be asked.)