Gone fracking!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I recently picked up a job as an electronics tech for a large and apparently well ran frack company!

So with that as I learn the industry and have time I plan to do a bit of a blog here relating to what goes on along with the how and why as I learn it.

Today is my first stay at a man camp and I have to say this one is very nice! All you can eat buffet 24 hours a day for free! Very clean and quiet too!

Tomorrow I will be going to an orientation class so that I can actually get on the well site and work.;)

Ask all the questions you want and I will try and answer them the best I can as I have time. We work 15 days on doing 12 hour shifts and I am starting out on night shift tomorrow so be patent being I like to sleep a lot when I am off work. :cool:

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I recently picked up a job as an electronics tech for a large and apparently well ran frack company!

So with that as I learn the industry and have time I plan to do a bit of a blog here relating to what goes on along with the how and why as I learn it.

Today is my first stay at a man camp and I have to say this one is very nice! All you can eat buffet 24 hours a day for free! Very clean and quiet too!

Tomorrow I will be going to an orientation class so that I can actually get on the well site and work.;)

Ask all the questions you want and I will try and answer them the best I can as I have time. We work 15 days on doing 12 hour shifts and I am starting out on night shift tomorrow so be patent being I like to sleep a lot when I am off work. :cool:
You do know you're stealing all us Alaskan oilfield workers, don't you? :)

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Given the running controversy about fracking... Be very careful about how you may disclose what the company would fire you for...

I asked a former employer through their channels & with signed permission to take a tail-end of an 8-foot wide roll of very thin fiberglas membrane...

Got written up by a company " paranoid pete " for suspected industrial espionage, because the material was part of their trade-secret process...

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Is it true that it will cause our water to catch fire, cause megaearthquakes and upset the natural balance of the galatical mind frame of the higher order mother earth????

:p

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Is it true that it will cause our water to catch fire, cause megaearthquakes and upset the natural balance of the galatical mind frame of the higher order mother earth????

:p
Absolutely not !!!

With the human caused increase in global temperatures expected to be over 1,000 °C in the next few weeks mankind will be long gone before there can be any ill effects from fracking.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I wont be giving away any of our company secrets being every chemical and every major aspect of how we do things is already pubic access on the companies main website. http://www.trican.us/ . ;)

Mostly this will be a general explanation of how fracking is done and other related stuff as I learn it from the inside. :cool:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Good luck to you.

You will be doing more to help the US achieve energy independence and security than all the solar/wind farms put together. Thanks.

And I hope the Feds don't interfere with your operation all that much.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would love to hear about it from the practical side. Internet sources generally address investors. The technical answers I found were written for a 10 year old person. You go! Learn and share. This site contains a lot of people that can understand what you have to say.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The well we are working on right now is being pumped up at around 10,000 GPM at 5800 PSI using four 2500 HP 5 piston plunger pump rigs.

Each rig weighs in at around 95,000 pounds.

For the actual fracking chemicals the stuff going in is surprisingly mild! PH balancer, a friction reducer and a polymer of some sort. All of them are low toxicity and can be handled bare handed without harm.

The amount being used is very low as well. Between .5 and 1.8 GPM is all that is being added.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"being pumped up".

Does that mean water is being pumped down?
10,000 GPM being driven by 10,000 HP?
You must have a lake to get the water from...true? I don't even know what size pipe you can stuff 10,000 GPM through, and the larger the pipe, the weaker the pressure rating...usually. What's up with that?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Actually I should clarify that. The setup we are using has 7 pumps and can go up to 15,000 PSI and well over 10,000 GPM but we run at only a partial load of around 4500 - 7000 PSI at flow rates of up to around 1500 GPM.

Pipe wise each pump unit is on a 3 or 4 inch 10,000 PSI rated line set going to the well head..

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The same people who complain could be the same people collecting money for the company extracting their rights.

A friend of mine has a few wells on the family farm. I know she got about 25k last year, which was 1 fifth of the half that she and her four siblings got.

There isn't much in the news recently about fracking, but, there were reports about fracking causing some local earthquakes, and a good demonstration of lighting the water from a fire hose using a match. Are they related ... who knows. Natural gas getting into the aquifer can come from various sources, including mother earth's shaking. I'm not likely to base facts on estimates. If this country based facts on estimates, Al Gore would have been president. After all, he had a statistician testifying in court on the number of votes he "should have gotten" in Florida, based on statistics. Of course many have read "how to lie with statistics" by Huff.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A little research shows that old money paid to invent fracking. Amoco purchased

rights that go back to John D. Rockerfellow , who started standard oil in the early

1900's. There is a Senator Rockerfellow from West Virginia. Old money never go's. away.

Amoco quit building stations about the time the new round of fracking started.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Ok , water is trucked to approved to injection wells to be turned into drinking water

later. Sorta like the sewer water they clean and pump into Injection wells.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Your fracking water will be sent down an Injection well for storage. Human

comsumpion wells ,when you get on site and learn more.....just follow the water. The

used water has to go some where as cheap as possible. What ' jobs' are available....

good for you. Looking forward to your Information.....Google fracking mines and wells,

you will find hundreds of you tube video's.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'll take sole credit for this, having made the recommendation months ago. There's a $1500 "good advice" fee for that; I take paypal/amex/visa/mastercard/cash/parts/misc goods.

/just kidding.
Congrats!