GM Anti-Theft on Double Din Navi head unit Question.

jonmarion

Joined Apr 17, 2017
I'm not sure that this is completely possible but I was surfing and searching around on the web trying to figure out how to unlock my buddy 2011 Cadillac STS Navi head unit, because he boat this car at auction and it had been stolen and only cosmetic trim panels were taken, that's another story. But anyway from everything I have read and watched say its impossible, well I read one article about being able to remove the eeprom chip outta the older gm stereos. my question is, isn't there a chip that does the same in my head unit?, and oh yeah I have tried just about every datasheet app or website to try and identify what's on any of the chips on all the pcb boards in the stereo, does anyone know about a certain chip and willing to inform me about it please, cause there is a company you can send it to for $100 but if I can do it why b
Not save my money, and also how do I read and reprogram these chips. Thanks for your time and PLEASE help lol...Jon. If pics are needed just let me know and then I will send or post.

Your paragraph isn't clear. Based on surfing in general, the OEM scanner (Typically, the Tech II) which has been replaced has the capabilities with the required security software for the vehicle. The availability of that software is reserved for bonded companies and locksmiths. I do believe, that now, the updates without security capability, are on a subscription basis and available to individuals. The minimum time is 3 days.
i could be wrong.... So, a dealer or locksmith that works on the vehicle should be able to reset the security if they buy your story about ownership.
I believe the VIN will be stored in the NAV system.

I think also that a replacement BCM (Body Control Module) is essentially purchased so that it will learn the VIN only once. Again, I could be wrong.

jonmarion

Joined Apr 17, 2017
Thank you for the reply, I have heard about Tech II process and like you said only bonded individuals can only purchase the scanner. To clarify what my intentions are, what I am trying to do if at all possible (which I'm sure I'm dreaming) to bypass the theft lock on the GM Navigation system out of a 2011 Cadillac STS. My intentions are only to unlock this one unit in order to basically be cheap and not have to spend the money on buying an aftermarket unit. And also correct me if I'm wrong but if I were to go with an aftermarket Head Unit I would lose some features of the vehicle, such as Auto Start. Because in order for auto start to work you have to turn it on through the personalization menu in the stock Head Unit.

Your paragraph isn't clear. Based on surfing in general, the OEM scanner (Typically, the Tech II) which has been replaced has the capabilities with the required security software for the vehicle. The availability of that software is reserved for bonded companies and locksmiths. I do believe, that now, the updates without security capability, are on a subscription basis and available to individuals. The minimum time is 3 days.
i could be wrong.... So, a dealer or locksmith that works on the vehicle should be able to reset the security if they buy your story about ownership.
I believe the VIN will be stored in the NAV system.

I think also that a replacement BCM (Body Control Module) is essentially purchased so that it will learn the VIN only once. Again, I could be wrong.

Anyone can purchase the Tech II scanner. It's not cheap. The security related stuff is restricted.

The bill of sale to the auction company (showing the VIN) and the NAV system (will provide VIN associated) and the VIN of the new vehicle, in theory, should be all that's required for those allowed to access the security features, I don;t know if service centers can change it as well.
The new vehicle itself may be required too. Certain car options can be enabled.

e.g. Had a BCM replaced on a GM vehicle. TPM wasn't enabled and the interior lights did work. They did have to replace the BCM again and enable TPM. I got lucky, the guy came to house to troubleshoot, but the shop said the new BCM had to be installed at their shop. They lost the use of a bay for a few days.