Glad I'm not a passenger

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A classic, who done it.
Assuming that the information out there now is actually correct (seldom a good assumption when dealing with anything these days), I have no sympathy for this guy. He clearly has no qualms about driving around without a license -- he's been doing it for a quarter century and continues do it even after having been caught at least once and felt no problem with doing it while Zooming into a court hearing about doing it, not to mention the dangerous, and possibly illegal, situation created in doing so. I would wager that the odds of him ever having had liability insurance are about nill. Does anyone really expect that his attitude and behavior is going to somehow miraculously change?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

I know the intersection well. It's headed downhill from the highway, cars are moving fast and kids sometimes get distracted. Hope she has a full recovery.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/y...shooting-fireworks-at-lamborghini/ar-BB1nPR88
YouTuber charged over video of helicopter shooting fireworks at Lamborghini
The FAA began investigating the video days after Choi published it, according to the complaint. The agency suspended the license of the pilot involved in the shoot for hazardous flying and operating a helicopter less than 500 feet from people and a moving car. That pilot was a friend of Choi’s who was paid to fly during the shoot, according to text messages reviewed by investigators.

Investigators with the Department of Transportation found that Choi’s team did not obtain a waiver from the FAA Flight Standards District Office in the region to film with a helicopter, according to the complaint. The complaint also says a pilot should have submitted an activity plan to the FAA for approval before a shoot.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives did not issue explosives licenses to any of Choi’s team members credited in the video, according to the complaint. The shoot also took place on a federally owned portion of the El Mirage Dry Lakebed and would have required a filming permit and the presence of a pyrotechnician and fire crews, the complaint states.

Choi faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted, according to the Justice Department.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
1718033698508.png
Pretty amazing how strong those windows are. Back in the day, I learned that cold 'dry' hail doesn't show (low reflectivity) very well on radar. You can get a nice return from the rain but the hail from a huge anvil cloud will murder you.
https://aerospace.honeywell.com/us/en/about-us/news/2021/01/radar-corner

1718034192670.png
1718034229848.png
1718034371889.png
The bright band is formed by melting hail or hailstones coated with a sheet of water which makes them look like extremely large raindrops to the radar. Wet hail and wet snow are excellent reflectors of radar energy. Unfortunately, dry hail, dry snow, and ice crystals only reflect about 3% of the energy of a raindrop. Therefore, reflectivity drops off very rapidly with altitude.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
View attachment 324275
Pretty amazing how strong those windows are. Back in the day, I learned that cold 'dry' hail doesn't show (low reflectivity) very well on radar. You can get a nice return from the rain but the hail from a huge anvil cloud will murder you.
https://aerospace.honeywell.com/us/en/about-us/news/2021/01/radar-corner

View attachment 324277
View attachment 324278
View attachment 324280
The bright band is formed by melting hail or hailstones coated with a sheet of water which makes them look like extremely large raindrops to the radar. Wet hail and wet snow are excellent reflectors of radar energy. Unfortunately, dry hail, dry snow, and ice crystals only reflect about 3% of the energy of a raindrop. Therefore, reflectivity drops off very rapidly with altitude.
I wonder, is the lower density of ice, as compared to liquid water, responsible for said low reflectivity? ... or does liquid water's caotic molecular arrangement make for a better reflector?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Ice is strange. It's likely 'all of above' having effects.
The relative low frequency permittivity of ice is ~96 at −10.8 °C, falling to 3.15 at high frequency, which is independent of temperature.[21] It remains in the range 3.12–3.19 for frequencies between about 1 MHz and the far infrared region.[22
Permittivity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_permittivity

The dipoles in an ice crystal can't turn into the EM field like water dipoles so it doesn't absorb (or reflect back from the surface) EM as well as water so they pass through it but it can radically alter the Radar cross-section (RCS) profile of an object by backscatter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birefringence
Radio-wave scattering in solid dry ice results from changing physical properties of permittivity. With a single uniform ice layer, the return (usable radar energy back to the receiver) might be increased by changing radar polarization. WIth a onion like ice structure as seen in dry hail, that doesn't help much.

This means that ice is a stealth coating. A whole frozen mountain top can be hard to detect. That's why the second stargate is in Antarctica. ;)

Last edited: