GFI Question

michelemd

Joined Jul 14, 2012
I found this forum when I did an internet search on "chirping" GFI. I read it but didn't really see what I was trying to figure out. I am a glass artist and use many tools that run on water and electricity. The past couple of times I have used my wet belt sander I heard an occasional chirping noise. I thought it was coming from another part of the studio - it sounds like the noise one hears when a battery in a smoke detector is failing, only the duration is shorter. So, between a chirp and a beep is the best I can describe it. It never occurred to me that it could be the GFI receptacle. This morning I went to use the WBS and was straightening the belts and the top cylinder felt warm to the touch. I felt the motor and it was cool. The studio was at 100 deg because I had a kiln running all night but don't think this could account for the warmth of the cylinder. I went ahead and used it and the chirp/beep is still occurring and I thought about the two things and, at the moment, I am thinking I am fortunate I haven't electrocuted myself. If anyone has any insight to offer on what is going on I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I am thinking I am fortunate I haven't electrocuted myself. If anyone has any insight to offer on what is going on I would greatly appreciate it.
If you truly feel that you are lucky to have not been electrocuted, then we would be unwise to try and speculate about what the problem is, because we would possibly put you at risk if we turn out to be wrong.

Please have a licensed electrician come in to inspect and repair your system and make sure it is safe before you try to use it again. Water and electricity are a deadly combination. I know of trained people that have died while working on such systems. For example, my friend's plumber never showed up to do a job one day. Later he found out he had been killed that morning working on a well system. You don't want to mess around with this and you do want an electrician on site to be sure the problem has been properly identified and fixed.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Not discounting what Steveb said, which is very sound advice, are you sure it isn't just a bearing in the top roller going bad? High pitch squeaks and squeals can be hard to locate since they reflect from hard surfaces so well.

michelemd

Joined Jul 14, 2012
Been investigating a little. I agree it is hard to know where a sound is coming from. I can't see any way that power could get to the cylinder that felt warm. It doesn't have a drive mechanism, that is in the lower cylinder. The top cylinder turns because of the belt tension. Probably sounds like I am extra dumb but I am now wondering if a canister lamp above the unit could have made it feel warm. Just turned it on and put a thermometer up there to see what it will read after a half hour or so, and if will feel warm again. Expect I jumped to a conclusion relating the chirp/beep with the warmth. Thanks for the suggestion of a bearing being the noise. I need to get some electrical work done anyway, so will tell my tale to the electrician.

Thanks for the assistance!

Michele