GFCI plug question

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
well I need to know what the spring part is for because i had an issue where it would not reset but when it's reset and you press the test, you can hear the GFCI buzz, about 4 presses caused a small flash inside but I don't see any damage, and it seems that part was laying on the resistor or the ground wire.

Electric Al

Joined Nov 6, 2013
well I need to know what the spring part is for because i had an issue where it would not reset but when it's reset and you press the test, you can hear the GFCI buzz, about 4 presses caused a small flash inside but I don't see any damage, and it seems that part was laying on the resistor or the ground wire.
That part with the spring on it is the plunger from a solenoid.

Obviously it is Kaput !

Don't try to repair it , throw it away . PLEASE !

Attachments

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
That part with the spring on it is the plunger from a solenoid.

Obviously it is Kaput !

Don't try to repair it , throw it away . PLEASE !
In that cause I would just replace it with a non GFCI cord, it goes to a window AC and replacement cords start at $40

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Was it specd for your window shaker to be plugged into a gfci protected circuit ?
You wouldn't think so, the AC unit probably on startup would exceed the GFI?

But, then again if the GFI is rated for it, who knows?

Does it have specs on it?

Edit: After some reading apparently it's used where there is an increase in Electrocution. Outside or around pools, mostly moisture related. If this is or was a child's bedroom or such you might find it there. Otherwise, like you said just replaced it with a regular outlet.

Last edited:

jfwfmt

Joined Nov 10, 2013
GFCI don't care about current, only differential current. Standard GFCI receptacle will handle a current of 20A. They contain a current transformer with the hot wire going through in one direction and the neutral wire going through the other way. It is designed to trip on a differential current in excess of 6mA.

Just trashing a GFCI plug on an appliance is not a good idea. It is there for a reason - to protect from shock. If you don't get the exact replacement cord/plug, you can put a GFCI receptacle in the box you are plugging into to. If you are not qualified to do that, you can get portable GFCI.

Remember the air conditioner has water condensate in it during operation. A failure can be fatal.