Getting your accumulator charged with flourescent

ericksmith

Joined Sep 2, 2013
hi, Dream that: :)

you have a car with a solar panel. (Solar car) ;) But it is late night and you need to charge your car's batteries for the morning. You have only light source which is a flourescent lamp.

Would this solve your problem? Can you use flourescent lamp to charge your panels? What is the efficiency of the flourescent lamp compared to sunlight?

Have a good day.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
hi, Dream that: :)

you have a car with a solar panel. (Solar car) ;) But it is late night and you need to charge your car's batteries for the morning. You have only light source which is a flourescent lamp.

Would this solve your problem? Can you use flourescent lamp to charge your panels? What is the efficiency of the flourescent lamp compared to sunlight?

Have a good day.
No, you cannot charge your Panels.

If I had a operating flourescent lamp, I would use its power source to charge car battery; if it has sufficient capacity.

Ramesh

ericksmith

Joined Sep 2, 2013
No, you cannot charge your Panels.

If I had a operating flourescent lamp, I would use its power source to charge car battery; if it has sufficient capacity.

Ramesh
It is a great idea but what if we have no chance to use it? For example we have no equipment to make it available for the battery? :cool:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Do the math - even if the total wattage of the lamp was applied to the batteries of the car, it wouldn't be enough to get to the end of the block.

It's unlikely the fluorescent lamp would emit enough energy in the right spectrum to even overcome the internal resistances of the charging system. In a well lit room, you might get a little charging but very little compared to full sunlight.

And as noted, it would be far more effective to bypass the lamp and go directly to the power source.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Then hook an inductive pickup coil around the cable. You can steal a lot more energy off the grid that way.
In fact, park the car under some high tension transmission towers. There is a lot of free energy to be had that way.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sunlight, at the ground, has very roughly 1kW of power per square meter. What is the optical power output of your fluorescent lamp? What fraction of that power is impinging on the panels? And, as others remarked, how good is the spectrum match between the lamp and the panels? Also as others have remarked, how much power is required to satisfy the parasitic needs of the panels and charging system before you even start to get anything sent to the batteries?

Bottom line -- expect to take the bus or hope it's a sunny day and that your boss doesn't mind you being late as long as it's in the name of green energy.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As a result you all agree that we can't make the car move with flourescent and this is due to spectrum issue.

Thanks all.
The spectrum match is AN issue. Why on Earth did you latch onto that one component and then conclude that it is the only issue or even the main issue?

Even if you could get 100% of the power that is put into the lamp converted into light and then get 100% of the photons emitted by the lamp into the solar cell and then get 100% of the energy that impinges on the solar cells into the battery, you wouldn't get much.

Think about it this way -- does the solar car have headlights? If so, then the headlights are drawing energy from the battery that was put into it by the sun. Running with the headlights on reduces range, but does it reduce it by 90%, or more like 10%? If the latter, then the total energy needed to run the lights is a relatively small fraction of the total needed to run the vehicle. If you turn around and then shine those lights at another car's solar panel, you will get only a small fraction of the energy needed to run the first car's lights into the second car's battery. So you will have a small fraction of a small fraction of the energy needed to run the car.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
No one here is remotely suggesting an over-unity solution, and I don't think mentioning the mere words themselves will get a thread closed. I hope not. Indeed, over-unity was only raised as an absurd example, to illustrate the problem with the OP's plan.