Getting started with electronics

Ricksy

Joined Jun 8, 2011
I would be grateful if anyone could suggest how to get started with electronic projects. I've visited a lot of sites but almost all of them assume prior knowledge. On the other hand, some of the introductory material I've seen isn't useful as it tends to spend a lot of time explaining the physics background, with which I'm fairly comfortable. I have some theoretical knowledge about components and can build simple circuits with passive components, but I'd like to make more complicated circuit and projects. One of the main issues is that I don't know much about the actual components that you buy and how you can use them to build circuits. Nor do I have a lot of electronic items lying around so I can't pillage any components. The experiments section of the e-book on this site was useful but as I'm in the UK, I can't find the same components for some of the projects and don't know what to substitute; also the ac projects use 120 v. Sorry for rambling on for so long. I just want to start making circuits without spending too much money, or hassle. As I said, I would really appreciate if anyone could give me any tips. Thanks in advance.:)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC!

This has come up before (no gripe towards your question).

It may seen juvenal, but one of the 250 in one kits found on Amazon seems like a good way to go. It teaches how to read schematics among other things.

If getting a toy for 10 year olds is too far down there is always the project areas of various books and magazines. That and asking questions here (but expect to be routed to reading material). Lots of reading is pretty much the norm.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/index.html

If you are good with coding you could also go into µC such as PICs, Ax, and Arduino CPUs. They can replace a lot of hardware with programming, but at some point you're going to have to learn the other stuff too.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
I'd like to make more complicated circuit and projects. One of the main issues is that I don't know much about the actual components that you buy and how you can use them to build circuits.
What level of complexity do you plan to start with? I agree with Bill and would further recommend that you google, "basic electronics" and pick a tutorial that would help you identify electronic components. You should then learn how to read a schematic. Start with the basics, then increase the level of difficulty. Just like you can't pick up a guitar for the first time and expect to play like Eddie Van Halen.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Good to hear you like the site.
If you have any questions, start asking.
We will be happy to answer the questions.

There is also the eBook, see the tabs on the top of the page.
The eBook can be downloaded using the PDF sign at the right top on the index page of a volume.
Did you also look at the useful websites thread:
Useful websites for electronics (Ver. 2)
Or the RF related links thread:
RF related links

Bertus