getting started with DSP and microcontrollers

CrackJack

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Hello All,
I am looking to work using DSP (digital filtering) on microcontrollers. Can anyone please let me know from where I would start.

Thanks in advance,

CrackJack

Joined Aug 7, 2009
Hello all,
I was going through many websites and datasheets regarding the programming of dsPIC's.
One website was http://www.mikroe.com/eng/chapters/view/49/chapter-1-introduction/

It is mentioned that we make use of both assembly and C language to program PICs.. is it the way to program any dsPIC?

Can anyone please give me an overview of how to program dsPIC in C?
I did download the sample codes from microchip, which had 2 source codes, hello world and generating RC pulse.

I would like to know some more detail as in implementing simple filters in dsPIC using C language.

Thanks in advance.

guitarguy12387

Joined Apr 10, 2008
It is mentioned that we make use of both assembly and C language to program PICs.. is it the way to program any dsPIC?
You should view assembly/c/c++/others as tools. Each having it's own strengths and weaknesses.

Also note, that you can embed assembly instructions into C code for hybrid code.

If you want to PM me your email, i can send you some C code that i used for actually programming some DSP chips. Mind you, i'm still a student myself and don't have a ton of experience, but i would be happy to walk you through some simple filter examples.

Incidentally, have you tried programming filters in matlab? That is, without using built in filtering functions? This would probably be the way to go if you're just interested in learning how to write the algorithms into code. This is because you can very easily test/plot things in matlab. But if you're looking to learn embedded solutions (significantly more difficult), then disregard the matlab comment.

CrackJack

Joined Aug 7, 2009
You should view assembly/c/c++/others as tools. Each having it's own strengths and weaknesses.

Also note, that you can embed assembly instructions into C code for hybrid code.

If you want to PM me your email, i can send you some C code that i used for actually programming some DSP chips. Mind you, i'm still a student myself and don't have a ton of experience, but i would be happy to walk you through some simple filter examples.
Please check I have sent you my email ID

Incidentally, have you tried programming filters in matlab? That is, without using built in filtering functions? This would probably be the way to go if you're just interested in learning how to write the algorithms into code. This is because you can very easily test/plot things in matlab. But if you're looking to learn embedded solutions (significantly more difficult), then disregard the matlab comment.
I want to use C language and make use of dsPIC in bio-medical applications.