Getting from the solderless breadboard to the veroboard

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I've gotten my TTL clock working great on the solderless breadboard but I'm a bit stuck making the transition to perfboard. (or whatever you call it). I've gotten a nice eurocard board with places for chips and need to move ahead. I guess my real problem is how to be sure I can capture the schematic before I tear everything off. I have a schematic that is more logical, like gates and stuff but not individual chips. I mean I don't have chip and pin numbers just the logic.

I would appreciate any suggestions for how to capture the physical wiring so I will be confident moving forward. This is my first real project and I am so happy it works that I don't want to lose it when I take the next step. Any suggestions appreciated. Or maybe I just need a kick to get me going. Thanks.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Show me your schematic. I generally draw designs to perf board (though I suspect you mean veroboard) like this...

For me it makes wiring them much easier, since the skull sweat is done before I start heating up an iron. I usually end up having to make changes though, but that is cool, while not as good as a PCB it comes close.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Ok, let me back up for a minute. I have built a couple DynaKits which involved soldering components to PCB's so I know about that, although not recently. Now I've got a working system, 13 ICs, 5 7segment displays, on my solderless breadboard. I think my first question is how do you connect things on perfboard? I've got a couple Velleman Eurocard boards as in the attached image. I suppose I put the components on the non-copper side and the wires on the other. How do I solder on the wires? How can I organize the wires so it's not just a rats nest? Can I put the power and ground connections on the component side to keep them out of the way? Thanks. And what's the right term for this board anyway?

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I can't see the copper pattern on the board, but if it is strips it is veroboard. If it is just individual pads it is perfboard. What I showed was perfboard in post #2.

There isn't any way not to make it look like a rats next except experience. I recommend light weight wire, such as 30 gauge wire wrap, for normal pads.

Drawing lets you eliminate unnecessary wires, plus clean up before you start soldering. It also tends to reduce errors in my experience. I didn't start drawing until I was over 40 however, it has to do with patience.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Using a tool like "pebble breadboard" is a good idea. And for cutting tracks I use a HHS drill bit 3.5 mm I think. I have one that is designated for this so it stays sharp. I even put a handle on it;)
Is it this type you use

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Scan or photo-copy your board, making several copies(enlarge if possible)

Then draw in your major parts/components.

Then using colored pencils do your interconnecting wires (a different color for each signal type +V, ground, and so forth)

The several copies is so you can try different lay outs.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Looking closer at my board I see it's known as a 3-hole island type. I hope this image is a bit clearer. So I can put a DIP package on and have another hole outside the package for each pin. I like the suggestion of making copies of the board and drawing in color, that will help I'm sure. Should all the wires be on the bottom (copper side)? I was thinking maybe some on top to keep things a little less confusing. I'm thinking particularly of the seven wires each from a 7447 to the 7 segment display.

Attachments

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Drawing lets you eliminate unnecessary wires, plus clean up before you start soldering. It also tends to reduce errors in my experience. I didn't start drawing until I was over 40 however, it has to do with patience.
Hey Bill,

Have you been looking at my project??? I have got to remember to turn that darn web cam off!

Seriously, a rat's nest is why I am considering PCB. :)

AllVol

Joined Nov 22, 2005
Google for "Stripboard Magic" by Ambyr, a free vero-board layout program. It has standard components which you can arrange on a screen board and call up the best arrangment.