Getting 1.2v out of 12v the easy way

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
I have a rotating pendulum and wish to run it on my car battery. And using regulators and stuffs to get 1.2v is not worth the work done. So could anyone suggest me the easiest way to get 1.2v out from 12v??

Also will this work? If so, what resistor??

Attachments

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Yes, whether that two-diode setup is workable depends on how much current you're going to need. Also, how much accuracy do you need in the voltage? You can't just say "a diode has a 0.6V drop" and act as if it's true, unless you're not at all fussy about the voltage.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Measured the current and seems to draw somewhere varying between 1-3mA. It was designed to run off a standalone AA battery, so consumption is low I think. It has a two transistor multivibrator setup and a dual coil on same core inside. Voltage I guess can be from a little over 1v to maybe 3v. Atleast above 1v is required to run 2 trans's right?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
See the attached for a simulation.

I1 is a pulsed current load of 50mA for 5mS every 100mS (1/10 second). I don't know what your actual load or frequency is. C1 acts like a small battery when the load turns on, and R1 charges it back up until the current drain from D1/D2 clamps the voltage on C1.

Attachments