Germanium diodes

samuel.whiskers

Joined Mar 17, 2014
Hi all
I'm looking at experimenting in radio circuits (crystal/powered receivers/transmitters), mostly out of interest.... I note many varied uses of germanium diodes - is there any particular ones I should get hold of before I start? Help me spend some money on ebay! :)
cheers
Lee

samuel.whiskers

Joined Mar 17, 2014
Thanks - just looking down an ebay listing, there seems to be several others - is there any reason to get a few different types? Will others offer any advantages, or learning points??

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I made that mistake a few times. No reason to buy an assortment unless it's the kind of circuit where you might blow up the part. A germanium diode in a crystal radio circuit is pretty safe.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there was a comparison of germanium diodes made a while back on a crystal radio page, but that page got hit by hackers and died. there is an actual difference between diodes used in crystal radis, but the 1n34 was one of the best, and the only ones that beat it were expensive rare special purpose diodes. some like shotkey diodes with a little bias added.

samuel.whiskers

Joined Mar 17, 2014
Thanks for the advice/links.....
I grabbed a pack of 1N34A's, and a few other types while I was at it, can't hurt to have a few in the parts box! :)