George Brown College

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi Henry--

I was just looking at the course outline, it seems they really take it slow. They seem to split up resistors, capacitors, and inductors into three completely different classes, same with series circuits, parallel circuits, and series-parallel combinations.

The way I see it, if all you want to do as a career is basic technician work, it will probably be sufficient. However, that doesn't leave much room for growth, unless you learn some more topics on your own. I'm not sure what Digital Electronics includes, but you'll definitely want to know about logic circuits, flip-flops, etc, as well as automated (programmed) digital electronics. I also would highly recommend looking for a C programming class, as that is a very important language for any technician to learn. It's one of those things that you never know when you might need it. There is also nothing listed there in the way of microcontrollers, which you probably ought to learn to use if you want to go into general Tech work.

I'm not sure I would recommend this program personally, as they seem to leave a lot out. It only gives you the most basic programs, and if you want to move up in the technology field, you'd probably want a more extensive education.

I would highly recommend trying to pursue at least an Associate's degree, if not a Bachelor's or Masters, at an accredited school.

That's my personal opinion, anyway.

Regards,
Matt