generating pure sinusoid from DC source

araq

Joined Aug 26, 2008
hye!

i have to generate a 16khz frequency pure sinusoidal (amp 7vrms, CURRENT0.2A)signal from a dc souce(28v). please indicate me if any such IC is available whih can generate a pure sinusoid from dc source or any othre easy solution.

i got to know about a function generator ic that could produce pure sinusoid from dc source, it was ICL8038 but unfortunately its data sheet was stamped with the message "NOT SUITABLE FOR NEW DESIGNS".

another option is to uso 74060 14 stage counter with such a crystal which can produce a sinusoid but waveshaping will need to be done. on the other hand im in a search of an easy and time saving solution.

can anyone please help me in this regard.

best regards.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You forgot to say how much distortion is acceptable.
An old function genrerator IC had a distortion of about 1% and it was obvious on an oscilloscope and the distortion was heard.
The posted square-=wave oscillator followed by a second order filter also has distortion of about 1%.

A good sine-wave oscillator produces a sine-wave with at most 0.005% distortion.
It is a pure sine-wave.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The ICL8038 and the MAX038 are not made anymore.
The XR2206 is available at Future Electronics. They have thousands in stock.

darenw5

Joined Feb 2, 2008
a Wien bridge oscillator, maybe with an extra RC low-pass filter or LC tuned circuit on the output gives very good sine waves. It is hard to say more w/o knowing how pure the sine wave has to be. If you want the output to drive .2A you may need some kind of buffer amp, but that'll almost certainly introduce distortion (just a tiny bit) without careful design