General timing question

Brass

Joined Oct 13, 2006
Hello,

I have been reading about the speed of various IC's and was wanting to inquire would I get any more speed out of the circuit using the electrical circuit as found here?

http://www.ehobbycorner.com/images/discrete_logic_and.gif

OR

Would the appropriate AND gate from the 74Fxx series be faster?

Does it make any difference in circuit timing at all?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the diodes. And the source driving them.

Basically a diode gate is passive, passive tends to mean higher capacitance and possibly inductance, which slows things down. You could use Schottky diodes, which will do two things, improved diode switching speed and reduce the voltage drop loss associated with diodes.

I use diode gates all the time, since they tend to make laying out a board easier overall. If they work in the application, well, my tag states my POV.
Thanks bill for the response, if I remember correctly the datasheet for the 74Fxx states it will switch at a rate of 75Mhz would a Shottky diode be faster than that? ( Sorry I dont have a scope yet ).

One thing to remember about speed.

Current drain increases with speed. All the ordinary and low current versions draw pretty much the same current above 50Mhz.

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick but I'm still lost for an answer, which would be able to run faster the 74Fxxx or the shottky diode setup that was mentioned. This will affect part of a design descision for building a CPU from scratch and I really would like to get it right.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Depends on the diodes. And the source driving them.

Basically a diode gate is passive, passive tends to mean higher capacitance and possibly inductance, which slows things down. You could use Schottky diodes, which will do two things, improved diode switching speed and reduce the voltage drop loss associated with diodes.

I use diode gates all the time, since they tend to make laying out a board easier overall. If they work in the application, well, my tag states my POV.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
One thing to remember about speed.

Current drain increases with speed. All the ordinary and low current versions draw pretty much the same current above 50Mhz.