General Identification

JustAnotherJohnDoe

Joined Apr 25, 2010
Hi all -

I've just started getting into circuits. I've built a power supply and a couple other small things. I bought the Elenco set with all kinds of random components just to play around with.

Some pieces I'm having trouble identifying not the type of component but the manufacturer. So far it hasn't been a problem really because I look at multiple datasheets from different manufacturers for the same type of part and they generally look the same.

Eventually it's going to bite me, I think, so I might as well learn now.

So take for example a DM74LS86N quad 2-input XOR gate. It's got a couple wavy lines, kind of like two '~' stacked on top of each other. I don't know the exact manufacturer just by this little graphic. Of course I've searched the web. Another has a curvy 'F'. I thought it might mean Fairchild but I don't see the same distinctive 'F' anywhere on the Fairchild website. I can pretty easily identify the Texas Instruments and Motorola components because they are well known and distinctive.

Is there a website that I haven't found that shows pictures of common logo markings with their manufacturers listed?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.