General advice about (soldering?) connectors of a GSM phone

ad.6

Joined Aug 24, 2015
Hi, everyone! I have a problem with my GSM phone and I think I found a solution in the picture below, which says to connect elements of the motherboard in a specific way.
Now, I'm really not used to solder anything and i don't know the specific language which is used in this picture, so I'd be very grateful to the ones of you who want to tell me how to read the picture and where to find some good tutorials to make it in the reality.
Thank you :D

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It looks like you are supposed to add five wires as shown in the picture by the different colored lines; each wire is to be soldered to the spots where the colored lines end. Unless you have experience soldering very small wires, I don't recommend you try it.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
And if you still feel the need to try this, try to do it without adding solder to the board. Use plenty of flux and if necessary solderwick to clean up afterwards. Otherwise you run a excellent chance of shorting many pins together.

If possible, take the phone to somebody with relevant experience and the correct equipment and ask him to do it. The phone appears to be old, perhaps you can buy a new phone with similar functionality pretty cheaply.

ad.6

Joined Aug 24, 2015
Thank you for your prompt answers, now it's all clearer!
Yes, the phone is old, but I would like to recover the files in it and it seems this is the only way to do it.

I will surely look for someone with relevant experience in this field, since the odds of success would be certainly bigger. Anyway what do you suggest to use to connect pins without adding solder to the board? Maybe just thin copper wires?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It looks like there is plenty of solder on the contacts of interest, so if I were to try, I would put plenty of flux on the spots to be soldered and then while holding the wire in position, press it into the point to be soldered with the tip of a hot soldering iron. If that didn't work, I would tin the wire with a thin coating of solder as you said.

ad.6

Joined Aug 24, 2015
Thank you very much for explaining this to me. I'm firstly going to look for someone with the right instruments and if I don't find him I'll carefully follow your instruction :D Let's see what happens