Geared DC motor

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

From where can I find a 12V DC worm geared motor with a speed of approx. 250rpm and a torque of approx. 1.5Nm? I tried searching on the net but I only managed to find motor with low torque.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Graingers has a good selection of gearmotors...

One of my specialized duties in the HVAC shop I keep carping about :D was servicing all the local Burger King gearmotors that drove their flamebroilers... They were close to the specs you mention, though were a double reduction to fit that particular purpose...

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Yes that's a good place to start.

Once you find the motor you need check the surplus market.

For the non-metric scavengers like me that need a picture. Is that about 13 inch/lbs or 1 foot/lb ?

For those looking thru their junk pile. This is about half size. To compare!
9 lb-in. 1/18hp 250rpm

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Last edited:

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

At Shortbus: Does that motor include the drive gear? or do I have to buy a drive gear together with the shaft?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Bookmarked! Thank you. I can't believe some of the prices. How's the quality of the goods you have purchased? Seems like for those prices it would be cheap chinese pot-metal crap.
The stuff I've gotten has been name brand stuff, same as you would get at Graingers or McMaster-Carr. They just buy out surplus stock from companies. They started out selling armed services stuff, mostly airforce surplus.

Another good place, with more electronic related stuff - http://www.surplussales.com/

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

At Shortbus: Does that motor include the drive gear? or do I have to buy a drive gear together with the shaft?
The gears are there, but the output is inside the one side of it. It is a (I think) 4mm square socket. Originally these drove a flexible shaft, like a speedometer cable.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
How about a wiper motor from a car? Remove the plastic gear and you should find the worm gear in their close to your specs.
I think wiper motors are slower. Around 45 RPM on high speed. At least GM is that speed. One time I made a couple of fishing down riggers for a guy out of wiper motors, pulled up a 5 pound ball with no problem.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I've used surplus center myself. Good company.

Have you looked at granger gearmotor prices?:eek:

They seem 4 times what I remember.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Are you referring to gear speed or armature speed? Pretty sure armature speed is more in the range of what he was looking for. Gear speed much slower and yes they provide lots of torque.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I've used surplus center myself. Good company.

Have you looked at granger gearmotor prices?:eek:

They seem 4 times what I remember.
The online or catalog prices are scary. But when you go into the store, they are usually 40 - 60% cheaper. Think they do it that way to help out contractors. When a home owner gets a bill, and sees a parts charge, then goes to Grainger online, they see how much things cost.:)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Are you referring to gear speed or armature speed? Pretty sure armature speed is more in the range of what he was looking for. Gear speed much slower and yes they provide lots of torque.
Armature speed is way higher. More in the thousands of RPM. There's a pretty high gear reduction in a wiper, that's what gives them the torque.