FYP title - security device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlllastar

Joined May 31, 2010
Hi,

I will soon be a final year student(this July) of Electrical and Electronic engineering, majoring in Embedded System and Microcontrollers. I need to have a fyp title before my semester starts, and I need some help and opinion. I only have a vision/goal of what I would like to achieve, but I'm not sure how or what to do achieve that.

I would like to build a system or a device for women security. I have made some research and all that we have in the market nowadays are just pepper sprays, stun guns or some other similar device.

The problem about these devices are that, if it's readily available, it can become dangerous in the wrong hands, especially the stun gun. It's even illegal in some states/countries though I'm not sure about my owns'. While pepper spray don't do permanent damage, it's not easy to sprays them straight into the attacker's eyes under the circumstances, isn't it?

So I've been thinking, is it possible to create something more efficient for women safety? Another device that cause severe harm would be a no-no since it would again be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Maybe a system that we could collaborate with the police. Some defend layer women could wear which at the same time alert the police force on her location and something that would enable the law to track down the guilty. It might not 100% prevent the incident but at least, if every offender is tracked and thrown to jail, eventually, case will reduce, right?

I need opinions, is it realistic? or is it too far fetched and complicated? Can I have some advice on how to start this project? Else, is there any better fyp title i should do, and just put this idea behind?

Thanks alot for your patience, opinions, time and help =)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

I will soon be a final year student(this July) of Electrical and Electronic engineering, majoring in Embedded System and Microcontrollers. I need to have a fyp title before my semester starts, and I need some help and opinion. I only have a vision/goal of what I would like to achieve, but I'm not sure how or what to do achieve that.

I would like to build a system or a device for women security. I have made some research and all that we have in the market nowadays are just pepper sprays, stun guns or some other similar device.

The problem about these devices are that, if it's readily available, it can become dangerous in the wrong hands, especially the stun gun. It's even illegal in some states/countries though I'm not sure about my owns'. While pepper spray don't do permanent damage, it's not easy to sprays them straight into the attacker's eyes under the circumstances, isn't it?

So I've been thinking, is it possible to create something more efficient for women safety? Another device that cause severe harm would be a no-no since it would again be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Maybe a system that we could collaborate with the police. Some defend layer women could wear which at the same time alert the police force on her location and something that would enable the law to track down the guilty. It might not 100% prevent the incident but at least, if every offender is tracked and thrown to jail, eventually, case will reduce, right?

I need opinions, is it realistic? or is it too far fetched and complicated? Can I have some advice on how to start this project? Else, is there any better fyp title i should do, and just put this idea behind?

Thanks alot for your patience, opinions, time and help =)
No need to go high tech.

Warning. This video shows a weapon in use.
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res02dad/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/scott2.mpg

tlllastar

Joined May 31, 2010
But rapist don't just stay there waiting for victims to kick them in the groins. Even if you run, most men run faster and when it resorts to struggle/fight, men are stronger....

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
But rapist don't just stay there waiting for victims to kick them in the groins. Even if you run, most men run faster and when it resorts to struggle/fight, men are stronger....
Unless you can come up with a force field anything you have can be used against you. Hands, feet and teeth are pretty good weapons at close range if you have any training.

http://www.taekwondo-ameris.com/rape_defense.html

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I need opinions, is it realistic?
No, not at the present time. I think you need a omni-directional phasor set to stun. A disintegrator would be too dangerous by your criteria.

Your conclusion that catching the perptrators after the fact will reduce risk because then they will be in jail is naive.

...or is it too far fetched and complicated?
You have not defined any project. If you want to build a phasor, they are a little outside current technology.

I think another FYP project is in order.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
An alternative to the phasor (phaser?) would be a time dilation device. Basically, the victim would set off an alarm to the police and just milliseconds later activate a time dilation aperture. That would effectively put everything within a limited range, say 2 meter, into stasis. Once the police arrive, the aperture could be closed and the perp arrested

For further information on the theory, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_Stargate

John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Tho OP has started a similar thread in the microcomputers forum. He indicates that it might be better for his interests, so we will close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.