Fuses in series?

TheComet

Joined Mar 11, 2013
What is the purpose of having two fuses in series, and how does this affect the breaking current?

This is the plug I bought: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=817-1489-ND

The holder has space for two fuses, and they are connected in series, as described in the datasheet (image attached).

I want the fuse to melt at 3A. Can I simply insert 2x 3A fuses (240V) and know that it will act the same as one fuse (240V)?

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Dual fusing (or one on the hot and one on the neutral) is an European requirement for power entry modules.
and yes you simply put a 3A fuse into each.

TheComet

Joined Mar 11, 2013
Is this because the voltage is double in Europe?

Can I use two European 240V rated fuses in series then? Or is this designed for two 110V rated fuses to be used with 240V mains?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Fairly sure in some parts of Europe there is no distinction between live/neutral and their plugs are asymmetrical so they require fusing on both legs "just in case"..

The voltage rating of each individual fuse must be greater than the power entry voltage..

Electric Al

Joined Nov 6, 2013
Is this because the voltage is double in Europe?

Can I use two European 240V rated fuses in series then? Or is this designed for two 110V rated fuses to be used with 240V mains?

You could use as many fuses in series as you want. REDUNDANT!
It makes no difference , if any fuse blows then the circuit will be open !

good-work.jpg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am not sure of the standard in Switzerland, but I assume you are using 240v like the most of Europe?
You should only use one fuse if your 240v supply has a one side as an earth grounded neutral.
If neither side is grounded, then it is OK.
If the former, you should put a solid non-fusible link in the neutral side for safety.
In N.A. the only time you would use two fuses if the socket was used on 240v or on a 120v isolated supply.
This is the reason they offer two types, single and double fused.
Max.