Furnace blower to use as fan wiring

Ben Baker

Joined Sep 5, 2018
I was told that I cannot use this blower I just bought.. with U.S standard house wiring setup but wanted to ask here before sending it back if I have any options..

It is a Dayton 3 phase 208/230v blower.. if I understand 3 phase would be 3 hot wires plus a ground to side of the motor .. would I be able 2 use two hot wires from my 2 pole breaker and ground and just put a cap on the third wire of the motor and run with 2/3 of the power? Is this possible or is there any solution to get it working or partially working? Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
No it won't operate on single phase, you could use a VFD and then you would have a modern 3 phase variable speed ECM fan motor.:cool:
You may be lucky with a Cap on one phase but not very efficient.
Max.

Ben Baker

Joined Sep 5, 2018
Ok thanks I’m not a expert in electrical stuff just know basic house wiring 12/240. I looked a VFD for sale on eBay there is so many options, if possible could you link me to a example of one that would work for what I need , and I will go from there. Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The cheapest option is the Huanyang on ebay from China.
The next is the Hitachi, a few more $$'s.
For smaller motors such as these up to around 5hp, you can use a 240v 1phase VFD on N.A. domestic service.
They output the required 3ph for the motor.
They require a little programming by setting up parameters, motor type, 2pole/4pole etc.
In your case it is 4 pole.
About the cheapest is ebay 312046109331, there are a few others, ensure the manual is available whichever you get.
They generally come with control from the front panel, so there is a little L.V. interfacing for the stop/start method etc.
In a application like this, there is usually a 6 to 8 pre-set speed function, that can be set up automatically.
Max.