Funny Opera Problem

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I switched to Opera from Firefox. Still have IE on the desktop. Everything is now working fine with one exception. When I click on a desktop shortcut, I get the error:

Windows cannot find '<filename path>'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file...
The site loads anyway and all I have to do is close or OK the error screen to get rid of it. Annoying. I have spent a several hours searching for and trying solutions. The question comes up relatively frequently, but recommended solutions are not working for me. Some suggest being sure msconfig.exe is in the right place and not corrupted (done). I checked the registry and msconfig.exe has the correct location and path there too. Others want to charge for a "guaranteed and permanent solution." Right, install another OS. I'd pay the ransom, but what if the solution doesn't work?

Here are a couple of other tidbits:
1) If I enter the AAC path or any other shortcut in the Opera window, and enter, it fires up without a problem.
2) If I make AAC a favorite, it also fires up from Opera without a problem.
3) If I open the site in Opera, copy the path, then make a new shortcut using the Windows Desktop dialog, the problem persists.
4) IE and Foxfire do not cause the error message when clicking on desktop sites. I have now deleted Foxfire and problem persists.

I am open to any ideas.

Thanks.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Problem appears to have been solved.

EDIT: FALSE ALARM. PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED.

John

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I switched to Chrome and am very happy with it. The only thing it lacks compared to FireFox is you can't turn off "referrers." It is fast and has a nice interface once you get used to its differences. I keep Firefox for a few uses, buy completely dumped Opera.

John