"Fun with relays"

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
Still here, but was away a day or two. Just reading conversation as to how circuit #6 could be implemented. Will make it and see how things go.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
early pinball machines were a form of relay based computer. they had a program to run, registers, counters, and the ability to change programs with score levels.
there were delay relays, made by putting copper rings on the core of a relay, delaying the drop out, and the number of rings extending the drop out to allow for timing. stepper relays kept track of counting too. some real complicated diagrams for sure.

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
In my first post I had a list of "fun circuits". That list included:

#2 making a latch from a general purpose relay (NO contacts in parallel with coil switch)

Here I'm alluding to a regular motor start/stop circuit, that latches when the "on" button is momentarily pressed, which causes a latch situation.

But there is also:

#6 Single P.B. toggle (flip-flop)

What is the difference? Are they not both bi-stable multivibrator circuits?

I notice that in #2 there are two pushes, one to set an on state (S) and the other to set the off (R) state.

In #6 only one push button and a push will toggle the state.

Both bi-stable multivibrators though?

Last edited:

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
Oh, I think I got it.

I think any circuit that that has two stable states is a bi-stable multivibrator.

But, they come in a few "flavours". Such as "Set-Reset" (SR) and Toggle (T). Also "Data" (D) and JK.

So, a regular motor start/stop circuit where there is a set (start) and a reset (stop) is a bi-stable multivibrator. My understanding.

ErnieHorning

Joined Apr 17, 2014
In #6 only one push button and a push will toggle the state.

Both bi-stable multivibrators though?
I don’t think something that you have to kill the power on would be considered bi-stable but instead mono-stable.

Otherwise a SPDT toggle switch, which requires no power, would also be considered bi-stable too.