FT232R - Slow Programming Rates?

myztic_man

Joined Apr 27, 2009
Hi there.
I have almost completed my project, a mobile, waterproof datalogger which records information from a GPS and Accelerometers (it is designed for paddled craft so it uses the accelerometer to detect strokes per minute).
It is using the Atmel AT89C51AC3 micro, and the USB interface to the PC is provided via the FT232RL.

However, for some reason I cannot get the AC3 to communicate with the PC at anything above 9600 baud. On a previous, non surface mount board I designed I was able to program the 'AC3 at 38400 baud without any issues (using prolific). Currently, with the FT232RL, if I connect to it using 38400 baud (in FLIP), it connects - erases the 'AC3 and then times out during programming.
I have tried adjusting latency for my FT232RL drivers, but this has not helped.

Does anyone have any suggestions or have come across this issue before? My entire program compiles to about 20k, but it takes about 50s to program at the moment which is painfully slow... especially when I often have to change the code to test various aspects of the device.

I look forward to any responses :)

Thank You!

myztic_man

Joined Apr 27, 2009
Forgot to mention, I fixed this by getting a different crystal oscillator. Turns out the 12Mhz one I was using was not compatible (too much error) with anything above 9600 baud. By moving to the 14.768Mhz, it worked perfectly.