FSM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotTooProCodes

Joined Dec 1, 2013
A homework assignment requires me to create a finite state machine that can detect the sequence 01101100 in this exact order. Here's a diagram of the machine:

So the idea is to produce a machine that allows the user to input a sequence of binary numbers via the two push buttons, "0" and "1". As the bits are keyed in,the machine will output E=0 until the most recent 8 bits inputted are 01101100. Then E will switch to 1.

As a security measure, the machine should be set to shut off when 16-bits are entered without this 8-bit code being observed. So after 16-bits, the system shuts off. I believe I need to include a reset button that allows the user to enter a new series of bits.

I was able to generate the mealy model and state diagram (I'm pretty sure this is the correct model):

Unfortunately I'm a little rusty on the K-map stage of developing this circuit. Can anyone generate this map for me based on my state table, or show me how it's done?

I might have questions about generating the circuit itself, but let's start from the K-map haha. Thanks!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A homework assignment requires me to create a finite state machine that can detect the sequence 01101100 in this exact order. Here's a diagram of the machine:

So the idea is to produce a machine that allows the user to input a sequence of binary numbers via the two push buttons, "0" and "1". As the bits are keyed in,the machine will output E=0 until the most recent 8 bits inputted are 01101100. Then E will switch to 1.

As a security measure, the machine should be set to shut off when 16-bits are entered without this 8-bit code being observed. So after 16-bits, the system shuts off. I believe I need to include a reset button that allows the user to enter a new series of bits.

I was able to generate the mealy model and state diagram (I'm pretty sure this is the correct model):
Have you checked if your state diagram matches your state table?

Unfortunately I'm a little rusty on the K-map stage of developing this circuit. Can anyone generate this map for me based on my state table, or show me how it's done?

I might have questions about generating the circuit itself, but let's start from the K-map haha. Thanks!
"Can anyone generate this map for me...?"

Uhm.... Are you certain that this is allowed? Just to be safe, I'll check with the instructor and see if there are any problems with me generating the K-map for RedID=812084085 in his CS370 course for the Lab #3. I'm sure that, since it is due tomorrow night at midnight, he'll understand your need to have someone do this for you, even though the assignment has been out for more than ten days.

Hopefully I'll hear back from him in time

Last edited:

NotTooProCodes

Joined Dec 1, 2013
It should be OK, I figured if I can ask the TA for help I can ask the forums, TA/teacher office hours are inconvenient for me. I think the state table follows the mealy model.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It should be OK, I figured if I can ask the TA for help I can ask the forums, TA/teacher office hours are inconvenient for me. I think the state table follows the mealy model.
Actually, the instructor has asked that we not provide any further help. He indicated that you were ONLY supposed to talk to either himself or the TA and that not only did you have their office hours available (and clearly you also had their e-mail addresses as well), but that there were three session a week set aside to help CS370 students and that you have been given plenty of time to do this assignment.

I suggest you speak with the instructor if you would like to continue trying to get help on this problem here.

NotTooProCodes

Joined Dec 1, 2013
Have you checked if your state diagram matches your state table?

"Can anyone generate this map for me...?"

Uhm.... Are you certain that this is allowed? Just to be safe, I'll check with the instructor and see if there are any problems with me generating the K-map for... I'm sure that, since it is due tomorrow night at midnight, he'll understand your need to have someone do this for you, even though the assignment has been out for more than ten days.

Hopefully I'll hear back from him in time
I appreciate your help (or lack thereof), but because you posted my personal ID# and location I must report you. I feel this is done spitefully. Also, I said can anyone generate the map for me OR help me through it. As for the assignment being out for several days, I happen to have other homework to attend to. I didn't think there is anything wrong with asking for help online. I'm not asking you to do it for me.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I appreciate your help (or lack thereof), but because you posted my personal ID# and location I must report you.
Go right ahead and report me. Since it's Sunday, report me twice.

I posted absolutely nothing that wasn't directly from the Lab Assignment handout that one of your classmates posted on this site ten days ago. It was YOU that posted the information needed to determine your identity (as least to the extent that your instructor can take it from there) by simply looking in the table in the assignment that your classmate posted.

I feel this is done spitefully.
No spite at all, unless you consider not tolerating attempts at cheating to be spiteful.

Also, I said can anyone generate the map for me OR help me through it.
If you think that asking if someone can do part of your assignment for you OR help you through it makes everything okay, then you go right on believing that. Perhaps you can convince your instructor to see it that way, too.

As for the assignment being out for several days, I happen to have other homework to attend to.
That's fine. It's really neither here nor there except to the extent is shows excessive procrastication -- something that most of us, myself included, are pretty routinely guilty of.

There is nothing wrong with asking for help online.
There is when, as your instructor has relayed to me, you were told to only ask assistance from either him or the T/A. He sets the rules on what is and what is not acceptable help. I don't. You don't.

I'm not asking you to do it for me.
Uh... yeah, you did.

But, like I said, you can keep on telling yourself anything you want.

It might be best if a moderator closed this thread. I'll report my own post and let them decide.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Done. There are no rules against what WBahn did, if you find it objectionable that is basically your problem. Internet anonymity is never guaranteed, and you chose to visit a site where one of our regulars knows your college. Your name was not published, and the instructors name was removed.

If you do choose to keep coming back WBahn is one of our bigger assets, he has helped many people around here, and is a valued member.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

We do not remove any threads.
Are you afraid your instructor will find your posts?
All will be preserved for future reference.
Besides Google & co. will already have created entries in the search databases.

bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.