From laptop to desk top

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Depending on the size and amount of files to transfer, I use either a USB stick or an external harddisk.
I have an external harddisk that has lan capability (I can use an FTP program to transfer the files).

Bertus

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have, however, taken what you have said to be true, so that you email files to yourself as a means of data transfer.
I have no clue why you insist in repeating something that is irrelevant. Yes, I e-mail files to myself. What about it?

ger scale, personal comments are impossible to avoid, everyone has preferences and, when there are multiple ways of doing something, those preferences are bound to show through. That is not to say that it is okay to make judgment calls on a person, just that their preference is whatever it is.
It's not as hard as you think. With a little effort, we can have technical discussions without the personal BS.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I have no clue why you insist in repeating something that is irrelevant. Yes, I e-mail files to myself. What about it?

It's not as hard as you think. With a little effort, we can have technical discussions without the personal BS.
If that is true, why mention that you use it? If it should always be technical, you would not have included your preference.

That is the only place the thread becomes personal...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If that is true, why mention that you use it? If it should always be technical, you would not have included your preference.

That is the only place the thread becomes personal...
Once again, you misquote. I never said it was my preference. Thus, you make this personal, not me.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Do you use it? you answered yes.

Do you use it as opposed to other methods? again, you answered yes.

QED: You prefer it to other methods.

Seems pretty sound to me. Perhaps you can explain the logical fault.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The logical fault is I don't use it as opposed to other methods. As I said, I use the appropriate method for the circumstances. It is merely an option, not a preference.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The logical fault is I don't use it as opposed to other methods. As I said, I use the appropriate method for the circumstances. It is merely an option, not a preference.
So in transferring a file of 2kB, would you not prefer to use the email option, as opposed to getting an external hard drive?

You stated that you've used it on multiple files, meaning there had to be conditions for which you prefer it.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Regardless, you stated a personal use, something you have argued to have stricken from a technical discussion.
Not so. I offered it as an option to the OP, and that was all I did. I don't get personal, and I require you not get personal with me.

lazarus78

Joined Mar 27, 2013
You're extrapolating. What I've said time and time again is that <25MB is sufficient for an overwelmingly majority of user's file. I made no comment about my work. To clue you in, I have a work life and a personal life. I made no distinctions between the two. And I sure as HELL wouldn't be sharing my work over Yahoo.

From now on, I'd appreciate keeping personal comments out of our technical discussions.
I must not be in that majority. If I were doing a computer move, my data transfer would exceed 700GB, and a sizable chunk of files would be in the 1GB+ range.

Given that the topic is (or was) about the OP moving computers, it is rather safe to say there is/was a lot of data to transfer. And while, yes, 25MB is good for a handful of files, a computer move will far surpass that in bulk transfers. Its not that the files individually won't fit in the 25MB allocation, but if speed is wanted, email is NOT the way to do it.

So while, yes, email is a very valid and viable method of data transfer, it is very unlikely to fit the OPs needs given the situation and data size limitations.

Realistically, the easiest and fastest way for transferring bulk data would be via flash drive or external hard drive depending on the needs of the OP, as we do not know the extend of his knowledge.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Given that the topic is (or was) about the OP moving computers, it is rather safe to say there is/was a lot of data to transfer.
All that the OP said was that he was transferring files, not moving computers. We don't know if those files are small or large. The option I gave makes no assumptions about file size, and is a fair option for most files a user would typically transfer (jpeg, .docx,. PDF, etc) It was only an option that nobody had yet mentioned. There is no reason for me to believe his files sizes exceed the 25MB limit, but if they do, then other options are available, as many other's have already mentioned.

At times, using the internet to transfer files is the best option. For example, my lawyer sends me documents all the time over the internet. He is, in effect, transferring files from his computer to my computer. Since we don't have a 2,000 mile cat-6 cable to make a direct connection, and mailing any kind of non-volatile media would be too slow, then the internet is the only viable option. As I've pointing out, one can move alot of data with only 25MB, and so this limit has not hampered our business, and we've had quite alot in recent months.

lazarus78

Joined Mar 27, 2013
All that the OP said was that he was transferring files, not moving computers. We don't know if those files are small or large. The option I gave makes no assumptions about file size, and is a fair option for most files a user would typically transfer (jpeg, .docx,. PDF, etc) It was only an option that nobody had yet mentioned. There is no reason for me to believe his files sizes exceed the 25MB limit, but if they do, then other options are available, as many other's have already mentioned.

At times, using the internet to transfer files is the best option. For example, my lawyer sends me documents all the time over the internet. He is, in effect, transferring files from his computer to my computer. Since we don't have a 2,000 mile cat-6 cable to make a direct connection, and mailing any kind of non-volatile media would be too slow, then the internet is the only viable option. As I've pointing out, one can move alot of data with only 25MB, and so this limit has not hampered our business, and we've had quite alot in recent months.
But you are making assumptions about file size. You have stated explicitly that there is a ~25MB limit on file size, meaning every file larger then that is immediately excluded from that option.

My point was that the best OVERALL method of file transfer, in terms of ease of operation and decent speeds given a point to point transfer, is undeniably a flash drive or external drive.

Yes, I understand your point and agree that email is a very viable method of file transfer, but it is slow, and not made for large transfers. However, no one mentioned it because there are faster and easier ways to do point to point transfers. We aren't talking about a 6000 mile gap between computers here.

Your whole point is like suggesting dismantling a brick wall brick by brick. It works, but a bulldozer or wrecking ball would be faster and do it better. And that is ultimately what most people want.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
But you are making assumptions about file size. You have stated explicitly that there is a ~25MB limit on file size, meaning every file larger then that is immediately excluded from that option.
I make no assumption about the OP's file size to transfer. My option was merely an option, as the others were.

My point was that the best OVERALL method of file transfer, in terms of ease of operation and decent speeds given a point to point transfer, is undeniably a flash drive or external drive.
I don't think there is a best overall option. Circumstances will dictate the best option.

Yes, I understand your point and agree that email is a very viable method of file transfer, but it is slow, and not made for large transfers. However, no one mentioned it because there are faster and easier ways to do point to point transfers. We aren't talking about a 6000 mile gap between computers here.
600 miles gaps sometimes exists. I have a home computer network in Alabama and one in Florida. Also, an array of portable computers. Why not consider all options and all circumstances? No reason to create restrictions on the discussion.
Your whole point is like suggesting dismantling a brick wall brick by brick. It works, but a bulldozer or wrecking ball would be faster and do it better. And that is ultimately what most people want.
My point is nothing like that. It's a simple and effective option.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Come on guys, let it go! Just drop it--you're not achieving anything right now by arguing. The moderators have already warned you to stop, and I expect they'll close it soon if you keep this up. Everyone's suggestions have been made, there's no point of arguing about which is the best.

Sheesh.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Agreed, the thread has been running long enough.
If the Topic Starter wants the thread to be re-opened, he can PM me.

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.