Friend

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
So this friend of mine, really the only one I've made since coming to Florida, gets canned today. My boss told me that I don't have anything to worry about, that my job is safe. I'm torn between feeling relief for me and sorrow for my friend.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Don't be torn. Both feelings are normal and good. Do what you can to encourage and help the friend, but there's no reason for you to feel guilty because he's going and you're staying. Try to keep it from negatively affecting your attitude at work.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Old age and impending retirement has made a wuss of me.
:) It had just the opposite effect on me. I became more outspoken with each passing year, especially when attending "team meetings" where we were directed to reach a concensus on every decision.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So this friend of mine, really the only one I've made since coming to Florida, gets canned today. My boss told me that I don't have anything to worry about, that my job is safe. I'm torn between feeling relief for me and sorrow for my friend.
Watch your azz! You can trust a FL businessman as far as you can throw em! I've heard that more times then I care to mention only to be stiffed with a bunk payroll check. That clue number 1 then end is coming. When your checks quit coming from a payroll company to company checks! When that happens have a back up plan.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Hi Max,

I've always thought when someone tell me my job is safe, that means I'm halfway out the door. It's always been true in the past. BTW, I'm new at this contracting thing, but the veterans tell me this happens all the time. You have to be ready to hit the road to the next job at a moment's notice.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Hi Max,

I read your post before it was moderated. Mostly, I'm interested in checking out Florida's natural wonders. I visit a new place every other week. This week, I'm taking my kayak to either the coast or the St. Johns river. If I get time, I'll check out those books.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
You should take a fishing rod, Brownout.

Apparently it can be quite effective fishing in a kayak. Much quieter with no motor.

I must admit, I thought your name was Browntrout for a while. :D

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hi Max,

I read your post before it was moderated. Mostly, I'm interested in checking out Florida's natural wonders. I visit a new place every other week. This week, I'm taking my kayak to either the coast or the St. Johns river. If I get time, I'll check out those books.
Wow I got modded! Bam! Funny!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
We have really good kayaking over here on the West Coast! Way better then East Coast. Tons of back country. Lots of places to go. You can rent em all over the place too. If you wanna go fishing over here I know all the place to go to get what ever you want. Not even really fishing, it just catching. Right now the Cobia and Spanish Mackeral are running. You have all the mangrove backwater creeks and streams which are a blast!. Then you have place like Peace River and other rivers that are fun. You can hunt fossils in most of em. Get indian beads, crock teeth, sharks teeths, etc.. Also you have tons of springs around Orlando that are really nice. Where you gotta kayak a couple miles then opens up into this huge spring lake thats fed by 3 huge deep springs. STAY OUT OF THE CAVES!!! We have all kinds of micro caves and springs everywhere so if your playing or locals tell you about a cave you can swim thru don't. People die all the time trying that crap.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
i had a buddy that hooked a shark on inland waterway,in his kayak. he got apicture

of the big shark eye looking right at him. brownout remember in fla if it moves or

grows...its probally protected.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
i had a buddy that hooked a shark on inland waterway,in his kayak. he got apicture

of the big shark eye looking right at him. brownout remember in fla if it moves or

grows...its probally protected.
Or is an invasive your supposed to kill, or something thats gonna try to kill you. Its the sub tropics so we have lots of venomous snakes and spiders. Watchout for them hanging in tree's. They notoriously drop into your boat going under them. Alligators are typically no problem at all, leave them alone and they leave you alone. Granted during mating season they become aggressive normally a standard gator poses no threats. That doesn't mean go swimming in the glades though, where you see 1000 gators in about a basketball court size area.