frequency of function generators

concievo

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I have a need for a function generator for frequencies up to 60 MHz,but at that frequency they are way beyond my finances. I can afford 20 MHz,but whats the use of spending the money if I can't use it for 60 MHz ?
I ask because in article after article it is said to have one even at 5 MHz, so long as you have one !!! To me that's like saying eat dirt if you must, just as long as you are eating. Can someone explain the reasoning behind that ?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
State what you are willing to spend and what it is you're trying to accomplish. There might be a number of ways to get where you want to go.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The reason for articles recommending function generators with more limited frequency capabilities is that many people will find them sufficient for their needs. You have a requirement for signals at up to 60MHz, but for instance a hobbyist interested mainly in guitar amplifiers would not need such high frequencies.

Someone else might need a generator providing sine-wave or pulsed output extending to much higher frequencies - it all depends on what they want to do, and how much they can afford or are prepared to pay.