Frequency Divider

leonhart88

Joined Feb 23, 2007
Hey guys,

I currently have a 2.4567Mhz oscillator that is divided down to 0.614175Mhz using a dual flip flop IC (SN74AC74PWR).

I am replacing the oscillator with a 9.8304MHz one so we can get it working for a wider range of temperatures. I would need to divide this new oscillator down to 0.614Mhz. I have looked for a Quad flip flop IC, but they do not seem very common. Most quad flip flops I find only have one clock input for all 4 flip flops, which is not what I want.

I did manage to find one, but it's quite expensive (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MC10EP131MNG-ND. I know you can do some frequency division with counters and such, but I'm not really experienced with this kind of stuff. Is there a better way for me to accomplish this division? Or am I going to have to shell out 20$ for an IC?

Thanks!

leonhart88

Joined Feb 23, 2007
Just to update a little, I believe I should be looking for a ripple counter IC. I see that some of the use JK or T flip flops, instead of the D flip flop. Are there any important differences?

I am updating a design which was made before I worked on this project, so I want to make sure the output from the new divider will be similar to what I get from the SN74AC74PWR, but just as a divide by 16 instead of divide by 4.

Thanks again!

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Just get any binary counter IC with more than 5 bits.

Then connect your input to CLK and your output from bit4, this will be exactly 16:1 divide ratio. :)

leonhart88

Joined Feb 23, 2007
Thanks. I did manage to find a binary ripple counter last night and it looks like it will work! Really cool how the counter divides frequencies so easily =D