Frequency counter

shreyas_bhat

Joined Jul 26, 2004
Hey Folks
was wondering if a Frequency counter, can count frequencies of only digital signals, or analog signals as well. I have an analog (sine wave) whose frequency is to be read. Is it possible to use a Frequency counter straight for this operation (if yes, which one) , or the signal has to be converted to a square wave first and then read using a counter ?

Thanks
Shreyas

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

I think that as long as the waveform changes direction regularly, your counter will work with it. Freq counters were originally made to count analog waveforms.

shreyas_bhat

Joined Jul 26, 2004
Hey BeenThere
Thanks for the reply. Shall try rigging up the circuit now.

Shreyas

Originally posted by beenthere@Feb 5 2005, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I think that as long as the waveform changes direction regularly, your counter will work with it. Freq counters were originally made to count analog waveforms.
[post=5069]Quoted post[/post]​

dragan733

Joined Dec 12, 2004
Originally posted by shreyas_bhat@Feb 5 2005, 04:04 PM
Hey Folks
was wondering if a Frequency counter, can count frequencies of only digital signals, or analog signals as well. I have an analog (sine wave) whose frequency is to be read. Is it possible to use a Frequency counter straight for this operation (if yes, which one) , or the signal has to be converted to a square wave first and then read using a counter ?

Thanks
Shreyas
[post=5067]Quoted post[/post]​
The signal has to be converted to a square wave vave. All modern Frequency counters are digital.

1000MFD

Joined Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by dragan733@Feb 5 2005, 03:27 PM
The signal has to be converted to a square wave vave. All modern Frequency counters are digital.
[post=5080]Quoted post[/post]​
You sure about that, Dragon? Methinks u've a bit more learning to go.