Free online Python refererences,

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I would like to learn python. With the brain fog from the stroke I may be byting off more than I can chew.any good free tutorial sites out there?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Just curious, what led you to choose Python? I've heard it referred to as a scripting language as opposed to a programming language but I don't know what that distinction might mean. To me "scripting" is doing things a human user would do but automating it. A subset of programming. I know Python is versatile but very little else about it.

Last edited:
Python is an interpreted language, i.e. there must be a python interpreter on the machine on which it is run. It is interpreted at the time it is run, and therefore similar to scripting language. It is a very powerful language.

This is different from a compiled language where executable files can be created. These files run standalone on the specific type of machine the code is compiled for.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So I bit the bullet and downloaded the kindle app on my computer from Amazon of course, then turned around and bought the kindle version of “ Python for dummies”. Reading is just not fun without the other hand to hold the book, so I put it on the computer screen instead. Looks like I have some serious reading to do in the next few evenings.