FPGA output PINS?

nepdeep

Joined Sep 14, 2011
Hi, How many output pins of FPGA can be used at once, and how much is the maximum curent drawan by the FPGA on general?
Thanks in advance.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think that all i/o pins can be used at once, and the current drawn is very generally in the order of 100-300mA, but this depends on the configuration and clock frequency. Also I think that FPGAs have a large current spike on powerup.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think that current estimate is optimistic. A couple of milliamps is more likely on a pin by pin basis. The whole chip may also have a power dissipation limit. That said, why would you ask a question like that in a forum, in preference to reading the datasheet. Do you have a clue about how many manufacturers and chip types there are out there? Get off your armchair and gather datasheets. That is the only true path to knowledge grasshopper.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think that current estimate is optimistic. A couple of milliamps is more likely on a pin by pin basis.
I understood his question as power consumtion of an FPGA, not how much current you can draw from each pin. Each pin could allow something like 10-20mA, and like you said there is both max dissipation in the chip and max total current in power pins.

nepdeep

Joined Sep 14, 2011
Thanks, I want max power being used in FPGA, cause I am developing testing system to analyse the transient response testing system for the voltage regulators for digital system. So, I want to set the limits of output current for my device..