FPC Connector Identification

dbmiller5

Joined Nov 28, 2012
Hi guys, I finally registered because I need to utilize your collective expertise. I have been lurking for a while, I love this forum. I am an engineering student and I am very into projects and electronics.

My newest project is a display from a smartphone. As usual, most of my projects start with junk that was given to me. I received an HTC Rhyme with a bad USB port. Instead of fixing the port and selling it, I decided to scavenge the display for an Ethernet project.

I am trying to find the correct FPC connector for the display. I was wondering if you could help me identify it from a picture. I think the pitch is 0.3mm, but not completely sure. Going to drive the display with a a popular Cortex-M3 board.

Its not great, but this is the very best picture I could take. The connector is pretty tiny.

Thanks for your time!

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You should post a picture of the connector next to a ruler so people can get a better idea of size....It would be easier to help:)

dbmiller5

Joined Nov 28, 2012
Yes, I can read an online catalog. I wanted to know if you confirmed my GUESS, that my FFC wire was in fact 0.3mm pitch. Ill choose the appropriate conector once I can confirm that the wire is 0.3mm pitch.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Well, considering the fact that there is nothing to compare it to, no, I did not identify it with certainty... that would be impossible without something for me to reference....

I'm glad you can read:p

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Yes, I can read an online catalog. I wanted to know if you confirmed my GUESS, that my FFC wire was in fact 0.3mm pitch. Ill choose the appropriate conector once I can confirm that the wire is 0.3mm pitch.
Then stop guessing and take a ruler and measure the distance between the same edge of furthest pins. Then divide by number_of_pins-1 to get the actual pitch. It might as well be 0.25mm or something else. You should be easily able to tell the distance to +/- 0.25 mm, so the result should be pretty good.

dbmiller5

Joined Nov 28, 2012
Prefect! This is was I was looking for. Without having a pair of calipers, the closet I can come it 7mm. Then the pitch would be 7/(23-1) = 0.319, which is pretty close to 0.3. Thank you for all your help!!