Forum Response Thread - How are things loading?

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi Everyone,

Would love to get some feedback about how the response time is on the forums, as a few folks have mentioned they experience considerable slow loading times.

If you experience slow load times, please let us know in this thread! If you could specify where you are visiting from, connection type (Cable, DSL, Dial-up), and even the specific page you were browsing that would be much appreciated as we try and speed things up around here.

Cheers!

Rob

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I access through a cable connection in the northwest US and in 98 to 99% of the time, the access times are acceptable to me. Those other times, however, things either go very slowly (sometimes taking a minute or more to e.g. post a simple reply or the whole thing just times out. I just go away and come back later.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Been fast tonight, on an ADSL2+ connection.

But I find the good times and the bad very dependent on time of day.

And a question for you John please.

What news of Dave?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Around 12noon Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5) I notice very long 45sec+ post times and 45sec+ thread loads.

Then at 2:00am (I know, I should be asleep) the board shuts down for maintenance and I have to endure AAC withdraw for never-ending HOURS (actually a few minutes). ;)

At noon I am on a WiMax.. Fiber to RF. (At work) 50% of the time I have longer than 30sec wait times.

The rest of the time (home) I am on a Cable modem. 99% of the time everything is A-ok,

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Something new has crept in. I am on the forum, I can load the index, but a specific thread can take more than 30 seconds to respond. It is intermittent, only happens occasionally.

I am using Verizon FIOS.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
For a few minute I could not get to AAC at all tonight, like retched said may be AAC was down for maintenance.
I'm using a 3G USB modem, dial up at 7.2mbps.
AAC is A OK

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have been noticing a trend with pageloads and lags.

I appears to be database related, more so than actual server response.

I notice that the server will send the header and beginning of the page, then stall on the pagebuild from the data.

CSS forms but the info halts for around 30sec or so before the page continues to load.

See screen shot.

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I noticed the phenomena retched is descibing too.
Sometimes also the page waits in the middle of the page loading
or at the position where the online members are presented.

Bertus

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
retched, I thought it may have been a database issue, and still certainly could be. I used mtop to monitor and there was a high percent of queries hitting the cached data, so I'm not too sure now. Also been monitoring http requests and it's not at an unusually high rate. The debugging continues :)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Maybe its time to get a high throughput solid-state drive for the server. wink,wink ;)

Super fast access times and throughput exceeds 30MB/s

I got ten bucks toward it.