Forum name

uzair

Joined Dec 26, 2007
A lot of people come to the forums and are confused because they do not know where to post the electrical related questions.I myself faced the same problem when i was new.
Yes, there is a forum the "General Electronics Chat" for this purpose.But people think that it is for "electronics", not for "electrical".It should be renamed as "General Electronics and Electricity Chat".

Thanks!

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I'd not thought of that being a problem, but now that it is mentioned I do recall some electrical related posts in the "off topic" area. A clarification might indeed be a good idea.

uzair

Joined Dec 26, 2007
In our various text books there is a clear differentiation b/w the "Electricity" and "Electronics".There is always mentioned at the end of section that "Electrical finished, Electronics started".

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't think it is a useful distinction. The problem is that both of those terms are vague and cover broad areas of interest. It is also the case that there is considerable overlap in the applications and solutions across the board.

There was a time before the invention of the transistor when Electrical Engineering was either "power generation and rotating machinery" or "radio engineering". In the last half century Electrical Engineering has morphed into a form that our predecessors would hardly recognize.

I think the mods would be doing the community a great service with a statement like "post where it seems reasonable", but don't worry or be offended if we move your post.

uzair

Joined Dec 26, 2007
I don't think it is a useful distinction. The problem is that both of those terms are vague and cover broad areas of interest. It is also the case that there is considerable overlap in the applications and solutions across the board.

There was a time before the invention of the transistor when Electrical Engineering was either "power generation and rotating machinery" or "radio engineering". In the last half century Electrical Engineering has morphed into a form that our predecessors would hardly recognize.

I think the mods would be doing the community a great service with a statement like "post where it seems reasonable", but don't worry or be offended if we move your post.
I dont have any problem! I had one when i was new:rolleyes:!
Now, everything works for me but for the new ones i can't guarantee the same!

uzair

Joined Dec 26, 2007
In my country, the people i know who are using this site always tell me that they found it while searching for "basics of electricity".This proves that they are all newbies(like me)
So as i told earlier, it is not always possible for a newbie who has just started studying Electricity and Electronics to find the appropriate forum to post in.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
A lot of people come to the forums and are confused because they do not know where to post the electrical related questions.I myself faced the same problem when i was new.
Yes, there is a forum the "General Electronics Chat" for this purpose.But people think that it is for "electronics", not for "electrical".It should be renamed as "General Electronics and Electricity Chat".

Thanks!
Thanks for the suggestion Uzair, it is something we are constantly reviewing. Indeed this week we have changed some of the forum descriptions to try and make it clear. I will be sitting down this weekend and doing some more so will try out some new names and descriptor and see what feedback (if any) we get.

We do say in the Rules that we reserve the right to move threads if we think there is a more appropriate forum for it. If we do move a thread we always PM the members to inform them of the action and give them a link to the new location. If the member is adamant that they want the thread moving back we will oblige.

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I dont have any problem! I had one when i was new:rolleyes:!
Now, everything works for me but for the new ones i can't guarantee the same!
I never meant to suggest that you or anyone else had a problem. I understand the apprehension felt by a member making their first post; I'm suggesting that they should post away and learn by doing. Trial and error is the basis of progress and is to be encouraged.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I understand the apprehension felt by a member making their first post; I'm suggesting that they should post away and learn by doing. Trial and error is the basis of progress and is to be encouraged.
I agree that this is the way we view it. There is no fault in anyone who doesn't get the right forum when they are new.

The forum descriptions are probably the best indicator as to where to post, although the GEC is the dump all for questions that don't readily fit into any other forum/category. We did expand the forums last year to try and make the layout a little more structured. If there are suggestion for how we could make better feel free to suggest them.

Dave