Forum Development

vks_foe

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Hi,
I wish to develop a forum. I have observed that many forums have similar looks as if they have been created over same base structure provided by some tool or by customizing some precooked material. Is it so?? Can somebody suggest how to start with ?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
First look at wordpress, joomla, etc.. And your right most of the forums are all from the same template. You can then install the forum on joomla or another website base, or dl a total forum website to upload. I forget the names of some of the free forums but if you call go daddy or another end user web host they'll walk you through it. Its really easy to do, just start by buying a domain and host space somewhere and they usually have buttons to preinstall most software like I was talking about.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A single Loosewire, don't touch the Loosewire..............
Trust me, you are safe.

The two best electronic bulletin sites I know of are VBulletin. I suspect (without knowing) the addons to this site are extra's, and cost more. VB isn't cheap either.

It is a matter of you get what you pay for, you spend the big bucks you get superior features.

I run a BBS, which is very similar to online bulletins like this. They are high maintenance, and require constant tweaking. Failure to keep up can result in hacking, someone breaking in and defacing or destroying your hard work. It happens to the best sites.

Be prepared for a steep learning curve, and be prepared to devote a significant part of your life to it, they don't run or operate themselves.

If you don't it will show.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I just did, but we were cross posting.

There is a lot of hard work that no one will ever see that has been done here. It is part of the price.

vks_foe

Joined Jan 11, 2009
no prbs... but you can give some input, definitely ;).. let me google all that has been mentioned above and i'll come back to you..

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Google...Loosewire it will be there....More about the Forum....Maybe you can find

Loosewire in the Ocean...its a picture in blue water, Loosewire in water.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect (without knowing) that the IP provider is probably more critical, unless you are renting server space. I'm know VB sites that were run out of peoples homes.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I suspect (without knowing) that the IP provider is probably more critical, unless you are renting server space. I'm know VB sites that were run out of peoples homes.
If you have a good connection and don't download or game, its pretty cool and you can do it pretty easy. Its no where close to a dedicated or shared server though unless your on a serious network.