Forms of wireless data transmission

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all,

I've not delved into this part of the forum before, so my apologies if this is in the wrong section!

A little bit of back - story.:D

I have an idea to measure air pressure, and then to have it sent to a laptop or smart phone, where it is display real time on a graph.

I've looked into ways of sending the data, such as bluetooth, but the problem is that if I wanted to produce and market these, I think I'd have to pay for a licence.

I'm not wanting to make the product on a large scale, no way would I produce 3'000 units!!:eek:With the licences costing about $4000, there is no way I could afford to incorporate something like Bluetooth.

I was wondering, if anyone could suggest a means of transferring the data which is free? Or perhaps I have mis-understood the licence fees?

Thankyou for you time,

Sparky

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I was wondering, if anyone could suggest a means of transferring the data which is free? Or perhaps I have mis-understood the licence fees?
I would be interested in knowing where you got this license information for BT from?

You can certainly transmit your data via an of the shelf RF-module to a device to your computer which communicates via RS232 with your computer.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Well, I can't help with the license fees, it seems that if you want to use their BT stack you'll have to pay for it. What if you use a BT device off the shelf and try to hack it to transfer the data to your computer? Would you still need to pay license fees?

Well, I'd definitely go the RF-module and RS232 or USB way. I even think properly encoded on the transmitter side I would be able to just read the decoded signal on the receiver side if just plugged in into the RS232, at least if I use a low baudrate. Thus I wouldn't need a PIC in the receiver device to handle communication...

Last edited:

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I found this ebay item: 200393339984. It's a USB to TTL converter. From there I guess it takes a PIC and RF-receiver module... Cost shouldn't be higher than:

USB-TTL converter - $5
small PIC + external components - $3
RF receiver module e.g. MICRF007 + crystal - $6
enclosure - $1
PCB - no idea :confused:

$15 + pcb + software development (for the receiver)
Are there fees for using USB drivers commercially as well?