Forgot all that I learnt during my 3 years of University life

naickej4

Joined Jul 12, 2015
Hi All,
I need so serious advice, again.
Somehow whatever I learnt for the last few years at University somehow I totally forgot them all e.g Maths, DSP, Circuit Analysis etc.
I like totally forgot nearly everything, it super scary as a friend needed my help with DSP and I totally blanked out I had to go over the text book to help me understand and also I had to learn the concepts from afresh. What does this mean? Did I cram my entire studies which means it was a total waste of time? Is it normal to forget stuff after just 9 months?
I really need to effectively study better so I will not forget stuff.

thank you.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What does this mean?
It likely means that you were good at studying for tests, but didn't invest enough time to actually learn the subject matter.
Did I cram my entire studies which means it was a total waste of time?
You can go back and review anything you feel is important. This time, invest the time and effort it takes to understand the material. If you don't, you'll be really be wasting your time this time.
Is it normal to forget stuff after just 9 months?
Not to completely forget the material. I've been retired for 4 years and found that my coding skills got rusty after a couple years. Things I knew off the top of my head, I now had to look up. But, it came back in a matter of days/weeks.

@WBahn has already told you to do mental exercises to keep things from getting rusty. I didn't start using logic and circuit simulators until a couple years ago. They're handy for verifying designs, but I still do most of my designs the old fashioned way; by using the simulator between my ears. If you defer to aids too much, you'll forget how to do it yourself.

I do all of my analog designs on paper. Then I'll breadboard to see if it works the way I expected. Once I verify the design, I'll use a simulator to make circuit variations.

Last edited:

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Hi All,
Somehow whatever I learnt for the last few years at University somehow I totally forgot them all e.g Maths, DSP, Circuit Analysis etc.
It happens to those who learn everyday lessons for good grades.

In my case there is an unwritten law that you do not have to ask the student from the previous lessons.
In this way the teacher encourages short-term memory.

Psychology and pedagogy explain this.

Do not worry. You have what is most important - you have a diploma with good grades.
The rest learns them again.

If you enter this forum and get involved in the discussion you will get good at practice.

Buy a cheap transistor and some resistors. Or a broken electronic device...
Perform educational schematics, then calculate and see if it does the same result as in practice

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I agree it's the classic study and brain flush after the exam. In the mid-80s I asked a question based on previously learned material and the failure rate was high. I simply told them that it was their job to know this stuff. They will see it in the future when the compete for advancements. I asked, did they think we were wasting our time and their time teaching this stuff? One student was so convinced that he wasn't given the material that I told him that we were going to visit the instructors who taught that class to find out why he wasn't taught the material. The student quickly changed their mind and said they "forgot" it.

Again in the 1990s, I had someone who didn't know how to do a task. I pointed out that the task was part of his qualifications for a previous rate. I inquired why he didn't know it or was his record "gun decked" or falsified. I gave him the instruction manual on the task he asked about. When he was done, I asked if I was going to be forced to verify his knowledge of the previous qualifications to determine the rate he is qualified to hold? He stated no, and proceeded to do the work necessary to meet all those qualifications.

Your future employer assumes, and yes I know net result of assume, that you met the requisites of the course by your diploma. They can test you as part of the discrimination process to determine the best person for the position they are offering.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I like totally forgot nearly everything, ... What does this mean?
Ask yourself if you’ve really forgotten everything, or just the stuff that didn’t really click with you. I’m sure I have forgotten most of what I was taught but I remember many things that were interesting, and that was decades ago. Think about whatever you do remember. That may be a clue of what field may better suit you.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'm sure you remember things you when you had what could be described as an emotional event.

Did you ever cause a component to explode?
Did you ever incorrectly connect a DMM blowing a fuse?
Did you ever get shocked?
Did you ever disobey your mother and put your hand on a hot stove or pan?

One could say the hot stove/pan event created a significant emotional tie because of the pain you felt.

On the positive side:

Remember the first time your calculation and the lab were the same results, within the tolerances of the components?
Remember the first time you analyzed and troubleshot the circuit within minutes?
Remember the first time your breadboard was wired properly and you didn't have to troubleshoot?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Remember the first time your calculation and the lab were the same results, within the tolerances of the components?
Remember the first time you analyzed and troubleshot the circuit within minutes?
Remember the first time your breadboard was wired properly and you didn't have to troubleshoot?
I can't remember what hasn't happened yet! ;)

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I'm sure you remember things you when you had what could be described as an emotional event.

Did you ever cause a component to explode?
Did you ever incorrectly connect a DMM blowing a fuse?
Did you ever get shocked?
Did you ever disobey your mother and put your hand on a hot stove or pan?

One could say the hot stove/pan event created a significant emotional tie because of the pain you felt.

On the positive side:

What you say is very beautiful.........
Pedagogy has its principles.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/documents/00003247.htm

Is it difficult for the teacher to remember and apply few principles?
Integrating Theory and Practice

In many areas, this is not done, and so the economy is sabotaged.

I remember from collage pedagogy teacher- Let the student break something. Until no break does not learn. Just not to be intentional.

The teacher said, does not mean that someone will be encouraged to apply them

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/teachers/support/Pages/principle6.aspx
Learning connects strongly with communities and practice beyond the classroom
http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/teachers/support/Pages/teaching.aspx

faculty pedagogue

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Your future employer assumes, and yes I know net result of assume, that you met the requisites of the course by your diploma. They can test you as part of the discrimination process to determine the best person for the position they are offering.
And most employers will allow for a certain degree of "staleness" of knowledge and skills that haven't been used in a while. But when someone that has just graduated with a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering can't design a basic voltage divider and then claims that it's because they haven't had to do that in years, the usual result is to move on to the next candidate.

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Now I do not write for the initiator of the discussion. I assured him that the high grades are the most important.
Not when you're passionate about.

https://canvas.instructure.com/cour...rinciples-and-their-aspects-in-methods-of-flt

From link above:
The fundamental didactic principles are:

• Conscious approach
    • Activity
    • Individualization
    • Visualization
    • Differentiated and integrated instruction
    • Accessibility
    • Durability
Durability
"Constant revisions, a great deal of repetetive work and systematic control performed in the engaging and interactive way can ensure durable and lasting results"

On most of the pedagogy sites the discussion has been messed up. It is becoming increasingly difficult to understand what is very simple:
What you have learned must be lasting, that is, it lasts.

Looking back I regret a little that I did not learn for grades. Initially everyone is asking you for grades.
That's because people in the human resources department are not trained in the technical field. For them only appearance matters.

Only a few CVs selected by them arrive in the technical department.

Then there is another interview and test selection.
If they test the electronics, the test is quite conclusive. But they still have the right to hire who they want even with poor test results. Here you can start your career as a tester.
I know people who started as testers and have come to CEO in a few years.

It's important in a corporation to relate. How much the boss likes you.

Another "pointless" discussion:
Steve Jobs was fired from Apple. He was kicked out of the company he had set up!
How is it that you put someone in leadership, who then kicks you out?

Then the company goes down and after many years they realize that without you they do not do much. They want you back .......

I honestly think none of us will be Jobs. But it's a story meant to encourage us.
We neglected here how many did not succeed in this situation. And there are probably more.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hi All,
I like totally forgot nearly everything, it super scary as a friend needed my help with DSP and I totally blanked out I had to go over the text book to help me understand and also I had to learn the concepts from afresh. What does this mean? Did I cram my entire studies which means it was a total waste of time? Is it normal to forget stuff after just 9 months?
I really need to effectively study better so I will not forget stuff.

thank you.
Hard to believe you forgot all and sorry to tell you this: that kind of claim sounds to me typical of someone that, for a reason only known to him, is not actually willing to delve in the problem he is facing. And then, going straight to books is the easiest way but not the best. Not actual effort other than re reading. Maybe, even if cramming all the time, something must be left somewhere tha you could bring back prior to resorting to books.

By the way, you learn a lot when you have to explain things. Maybe, as suggested before, it is time to practice with theory supporting you.

Buena suerte.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
By the way, you learn a lot when you have to explain things.
That is true. They estimate you retain 90% of what you "teach." Repetition certainly increases retention as well. So my recommendation would be to create some videos based on the eBooks here. That way one can "renew" their knowledge, write a script, and create the video for posterity. Then the youtube video would be linked at a number of websites that use the eBooks here. You could monetize your video channel and maybe make a little cash from your efforts.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Teaching something is definitely a great way to really learn something, even if you aren't actually teaching it to anyone. Writing a webpage or, as JoeJester suggested, putting a YouTube video together will force you to think about the subject much more thoroughly than you otherwise would. But if you interacting with a student, that gets taken to an even higher level as you need to find ways to get your points across and clear up their misconceptions (which occasionally server to reveal some of your own).