For those who celebrate Christmas

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
First and foremost I identify as a hermit -- not as a misanthrope!!! - I assert that there is a highly significant distinction!:) Moreover - although upshot of life-long leanings - my 'hermit stance' follows many years of 'worldly' experience (handy euphemism, that!:eek::D) --- Point being I'm 'confirmed'!:):cool:

A hermit with a vocabulary like you have is odd. Was the investment in building your lexicon a good use of your time if you planned a hermit's life?
Oh I think so! - I feel communication skills are beneficial to the human experience in general!:) --- At risk of 'waxing anthropological' -- 'twas language that 'brought us' (as a species):D

Are people who END UP living like hermits and people who WANT to live like hermits both really hermits?
As is the case with any lifestyle choice True hermits are those who both prefer and seek said 'status' -- I count myself among that group!:)

Are people who keep their doors closed to visitors yet constantly posting on Internet forums really hermits.
If only that my doors were thus closed and my life so insular!:rolleyes: - But to respond to your question --- Although I am not a 'hermit' in the strictest, classical sense of the word (e.g. I participate in occupational and social activities) -- I endeavor to (figuratively) maintain others at 'arm's length' as it were -- that is to say I eschew intimate relationships (whether amative or fraternal/sorortal) - Moreover, I insist upon - and very much enjoy - my hard won status as the solitary householder of a large building in a remote, sparsely populated, region:):):)

Again, I both appreciate (and have greatly benefited from) civilization! -- Moreover, while I genuinely like people (as individuals and as a species) - 'Symbiosis' and its analogs (at any level) inspires me with dismay - and, I daresay, something akin to revulsion...

So... Now that I've thoughtfully responded to your questions - here's one for you: How do you feel about the practice of pathologizing lifestyle choices at odds with one's own experience, preferences, tastes or perspectives???;)

With genuinely friendly regards
HP:)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
:(

HP now I am saying you have theme song too:(!
Oh! Yes! I've heard that ditty many times:rolleyes: -- Perhaps I should sue Henley for his intolerant, anuptaphobic lyrics? -- ain't identity politics grand?:p

But have you stumbled in your headlong rush to officiousness!?:eek: -- Here's the tune most frequently 'dedicated' to me -- notice the intensified pathos?:D (nice tune BTW)

All the best

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So... Now that I've thoughtfully responded to your questions - here's one for you: How do you feel about the practice of pathologizing lifestyle choices at odds with one's own experience, preferences, tastes or perspectives???;)

With genuinely friendly regards
I must say, you are not the first and likely not the last to misinterpret my motives. Like another recent exchange, my motives were not meant to attack or pathologize. From my daily work focused on manufacturing efficiency and prudent use of time, I wondered how you felt about your use of time in hindsight. I have similar incongruities in my life and they are often at odds with the mindset I need to perform well in my working life. No judgment or pathologizing intended.

As for the questions surrounding the concepts of living like a hermit vs acting like a hermit vs actually being a hermit, I was thinking that my challenge would lead you to dig a bit deeper into the lesser used portions of your grey matter for a word or phrase in English, Latin or Greek that would better describe "HP" than hermit.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
frohliche Weihnachten
You are a braver man than I am, Gunga Brownout. You can be sure I would have made an error in spelling that, and I can be sure some OCD prig would have corrected my spelling instead of relishing the moment of proffered friendship.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I wouldn't be able to spell it without looking it up, despite having lived in Germany for 5 years.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I wouldn't be able to spell it without looking it up, despite having lived in Germany for 5 years.
I took a semester of German, 53 years ago. You can see from my post #51 that I tried to look it up, but there no way can I be expected to remember how to spell frohliche. Today, it took me 2 hours to remember, "John Cusack", and he wasn't even born when I took a class in German.