Food Chain

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Watched an interesting report on the use of growth hormones as applied to the poultry industry In Canada. An independant study reveals that our front line anitbiotics are being administered to the birds as proccessing accelerants. The study, where over a hundred retail samples where collected, showed that in ALL cases, at least one anitbiotic resistant bacteria was found. In a number of cases, bacteria resistant to as many as 8 of the 15 front line antibiotics where found. Samples of an 'organic' brand found 3 resistant bacteria.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Watched an interesting report on the use of growth hormones as applied to the poultry industry In Canada. An independant study reveals that our front line anitbiotics are being administered to the birds as proccessing accelerants. The study, where over a hundred retail samples where collected, showed that in ALL cases, at least one anitbiotic resistant bacteria was found. In a number of cases, bacteria resistant to as many as 8 of the 15 front line antibiotics where found. Samples of an 'organic' brand found 3 resistant bacteria.
Good thing I never eat raw poultry then. If the poultry has been cocked properly the bacteriaes will not cause any problems. I would be much more concern about growth hormones residues

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Good thing I never eat raw poultry then. If the poultry has been cocked properly the bacteriaes will not cause any problems. I would be much more concern about growth hormones residues
While what you say is completely true, the MUCH larger risk is via food services such as restaurants. Interestingly in the same report, a trace on handling residuals was performed where an indicator was spread over some chicken out of the package. The cooks (private kitchen) then prepared the dishes. Exposure of the indicator subsequent revealed quite the mess, from hands to pans to cabinets to clothes.

Ultimately it's no different than any personal safety issue, however on a public level, particularly health care, action is required.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That report is not new news. Widespread use of antimicrobials in animal feed and livestock has been around for at least 50 years. Growth hormone and other peptide hormones don't concern me, as they are not absorbed orally.

The element that does concern me is development of antimicrobial resistance, primarily or exclusively related to bacterial resistance. A resistant bacterium does not necessarily have to be a potential human pathogen to cause problems. Bacteria are pretty promiscuous with their genetic material, so a resistance gene in a non-pathogen may be acquired by a pathogen and then cause problems.

You had better believe that physicians specializing in infectious diseases have been aware of and have fought the widespread, excessive use of antimicrobials in livestock, but those efforts have not been particularly successful for a variety of reasons, money being the biggest one.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Dairy farmers have been putting antibiotics in milk before it is sent to
milk companies to be processed. Unless they test the milk they want
know that the farmer put the antibiotics in the milk. We eat a lot of stuff
that we don't know about.I think resturants chains put laxitives in there
food so it will run thru you before you get food poison sickness. It never fails
when I go out to eat,that why I like to eat at home. To be social you have
go out to eat when invited.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What are you a squirrel? They can eat poisonous mushrooms and are protected by the same mechanism, fast transport. Are you sure it is not just MSG?

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is a suspicion that some of those antibiotics that cause fast weight gain in cattle is contributing to the same in humans. Personally I'd like to see casual use of antibiotics banned, as they are already incredibly valuable for their intended purpose.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
These farmers have been doing this before inspections of
today for 20 years,maybe things have changed,but if the
farmers had there way d.d.t. would be used today. The
government pays them to clear 200 acres to plant. Then
they let it go until it cycles around again.Then they cry
poor that they can't use the land they have already been paid
to clear. A cycle that keeps repeating and the government
keeps paying. It the four year farm bill that gets renwed
over and over. 2000 acres are a one man show with a
tractor with a/c in the cab with auto pilot.The farmer has
to wake up to turn it around.I'm sure they are working on
having the tractor do it all. I interviewed these guys at farm
bureau convention.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
These farmers have been doing this before inspections of
today for 20 years,maybe things have changed,but if the
farmers had there way d.d.t. would be used today. The
government pays them to clear 200 acres to plant. Then
they let it go until it cycles around again.Then they cry
poor that they can't use the land they have already been paid
to clear. A cycle that keeps repeating and the government
keeps paying. It the four year farm bill that gets renwed
over and over. 2000 acres are a one man show with a
tractor with a/c in the cab with auto pilot.The farmer has
to wake up to turn it around.I'm sure they are working on
having the tractor do it all. I interviewed these guys at farm
bureau convention.
Loosewire, do you work for Fox(Faux) News? This sounds like something they would put on the air :p

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There is a suspicion that some of those antibiotics that cause fast weight gain in cattle is contributing to the same in humans. Personally I'd like to see casual use of antibiotics banned, as they are already incredibly valuable for their intended purpose.
Cattle and human digestive systems are quite different. In developed countries, the most common adverse effects of oral antibiotics in humans is diarrhea, poor absorption, general GI upset and coagulation problems (sometimes questionably attributed to the effects on vitamin K). It seems unlikely those symptoms would lead to weight gain.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ getdeviceinfo,You had to remind me of something, I have corporation
paper work for a new service. I touched the slide in box that hold the
corporate seal and minutes today. Another Loosewire story,I do have a
lot of stories. If fox don't do a better job I will hit the news beat.
There is so much stuff going on in Florida,seems like every thing has
ties to Florida. Fla make alot news,they saw Madoffs wife shopping in
West Palm Beach,driving a $3000.00 car wearing a ball cap.
@ John,will drop you a note that you can understand.

Shortbus,giving you credit for attention to a good story.
You would make a good critic, you missed your calling.